Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

from tidesports.com.....

BREAKING NEWS: Officials reprimanded for Alabama womens basketball rulling

By Tommy Deas
Sports Reporter
March 07, 2005

Email this story.

The officiating crew that handled the controversial finish of the University of Alabama’s loss to top-ranked LSU in the SEC Women’s Basketball Tournament has been reprimanded, but not for changing Alabama’s game-tying 3-pointer into a two-point bucket.

Bill Stokes, the SEC’s coordinator of women’s basketball officials, said Monday that the crew of Brian Enterline, Yvette McKinney and Beverly Roberts erred by putting 5.1 seconds on the clock and replaying the end of Fridays second round game, which LSU won 60-59.

“We should not have put 5.1 back on the clock,” Stoke told The Tuscaloosa News. “That was the only thing that was done incorrectly.”

Alabama apparently tied the game at 60 with less than six seconds to go on a shot by Natasha Gamble that was ruled a three-pointer. After LSU inbounded, dribbled the length of the court and failed to get off a shot before the buzzer, officials decided to use television replay to determine whether Gambles foot was on the 3-piont line. After looking at different angles made by Fox Sport South’s television equipment, the crew ruled the Gamble’s basket was a two-pointer, then replayed the final 5.1 seconds.

By rule, the crew could change the score but not replay part of the game.

“There is a reprimand for that part of the ruling,” Stokes said. “The part of the ruling that changed it to a two instead of a three, there is no reprimand for that.”

-------------

Okay...so should they have gone to OT with the score being 60-59 since Alabama thought it was tied and the scoreboard showed 60-60??
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
No OT. As far as I can tell, you only play the overtime it you have already started it. Since they had not yet started it, they should have just cancelled the three, made it a two, and run like hell. LOL
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I wondered why Enterline was in Greensboro, NC, for the ACC semi-finals on Sunday. Did they ship Lisa Mattingly to Greenville for the LSU-Tennessee game? I figured Bell and Kantner would be two of the officials anyway, but I wondered where Mattingly came from; I hadn't seen her there all weekend.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mattingly worked the ACC Championship Game tonight.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I know none of us are in the same league as these officials, but it's good to see finally that our question from another thread about why they put time back on the clock has been answered. I think we all felt this was a mistake from the get-go. Just goes to show even great officials can make serious blunders from time to time.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know it was against the rule, but to me it seems the most equitable thing to have done.
The defense didn't foul, knowing they only needed to stop a score to go to overtime. Had they known they were down 1, they surely would have fouled with less than 5 seconds left.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I know it was against the rule, but to me it seems the most equitable thing to have done.
This type of comment always kills me. (Nothing against you in particular Adam. I like the vast majority of your posts. )

Why do people always believe that the way they would do something is more fair than the way the rules say to handle it? The rules ARE the fair way by definition. If the people who set up the rules of the game didn't believe that they were fair, they wouldn't be the rules because they would be changed.

Now that I am done with that rant, I can say that this same type of finish almost happened in the UTEP @ NEVADA game earlier this season. I wrote a little post on here about it then too. Upon checking the monitor between the end of regulation and the start of the OT, the referee correctly determined UTEP's game tying shot with 3 seconds left to really be a three. I was hoping that it wasn't, not so much because I wanted to see NV win, but rather because I really wanted to see a D1 game end with a correctable error. Of course, after the way the officials handled it in LSU-Alabama, I'm still waiting.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I think the mistake was not checking the tape immediately, before the 5.1 seconds ever began. One official signaled a 3, the other didn't. At that point, should have blown it and checked it. Then Bama knows if they need to foul or not.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 11:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
This type of comment always kills me. (Nothing against you in particular Adam. I like the vast majority of your posts. )

Why do people always believe that the way they would do something is more fair than the way the rules say to handle it? The rules ARE the fair way by definition. If the people who set up the rules of the game didn't believe that they were fair, they wouldn't be the rules because they would be changed.
No offense taken. And thanks. My point wasn't that the refs should have disregarded the rules. My point was that in this instance, I do think the rule is very equitable in light of the officials' error. When a team operates under the assumption of a tie on defense, when in fact they are down one, the disadvantage caused by the officials' error is huge.
That said, as officials we must apply the rules fairly as written. That doesn't mean we can't challenge certain rules, however, if given the opportunity. I also don't like that the AP arrow doesn't change until after the throw-in is over, but I'll officiate as if I don't have an opinion on the rule.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bush in 2004
I wonder what the nature of the "reprimand" was? No post season? Letter in file? Verbal warning? Extra study required before next game?
Enterline was scheduled for the SEC Championship but was taken off. Who knows how this will impact his NCAA tourney schedule. He is highly regarded.

Mulk
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzilla
I think the mistake was not checking the tape immediately, before the 5.1 seconds ever began. One official signaled a 3, the other didn't. At that point, should have blown it and checked it. Then Bama knows if they need to foul or not.
This seems like the right thing to do. That way everyone knows exactly what the score is and what they gotta do.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Is Lisa Mattingly the blond headed official with the ponytail that did the SECWCG?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Quote:
I wonder what the nature of the "reprimand" was? No post season? Letter in file? Verbal warning? Extra study required before next game?
Enterline was scheduled for the SEC Championship but was taken off. Who knows how this will impact his NCAA tourney schedule. He is highly regarded.

Mulk
I heard that Enterline was taken of the SEC championship and moved to the Big 10 championship. He and Lisa Mattingly just switched games.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsimp8
Is Lisa Mattingly the blond headed official with the ponytail that did the SECWCG?
No. Dark hair, works the WNBA as well...
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 10:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Quote:

Mulk
I heard that Enterline was taken of the SEC championship and moved to the Big 10 championship. He and Lisa Mattingly just switched games.
With all the conferences that the top officials work, none of these "reprimands" mean much at all.