The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Calling it specious doesn't make it so. It is clearly a tactic intended to delay the game, and it is illegal. If I so instruct the coach and he continues, he will suffer the consequences. Like I've said now 3 times in this thread... you do what you want in your game. You can play a practice scrimmage if you want, I don't care.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

The fed association I belong to has the rules interpreter for Maryland as its commissioner. I will ask him about how he would rule on it. Better yet, I will email the play to him.

Ron
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald
But I find that hard to believe and sincerely doubt you believe that they meant that a coach and umpire disagreeing over and over in a discussion meets persistent tactics.
The sentence is almost unbelievable.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Believe the words that are pertinent from the rule regarding forfeits are "persists in tactics". In the OP, the coach does it once. Do not believe that meets the denotation nor connotation of the words. Also, do the words persists in tactics furthermore imply that a tactic that was delaying or shortening the game was allowed to occur by the umpires. I am sorry but IMO it sounds like you gotta let at least one instance occur.
You say, "you gotta let at least one instance occur," correct?

Tom has already stated that (instance 1) the coach attempted to decline the base award, (instance 2) when that failed, attempted to send a runner to the dugout. BOTH INSTANCES are attempts to DELAY the ending of the game. So, his ruling even meets your standard, yet you continue to argue with him that the "win/or forfeit" judgement he has stated is wrong.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Couple of points on the OP situation.

1) The ball was dead due to the overthrow (and also the coach / umpire conference). The runner cannot be declared out for entering the dugout during a dead ball.

2) The coach ordering his runner into the dugout is pulling his player off the field. If he refuses to put her back on the field, he is refusing to resume the game.

Take your choice on the reason for the forfeit option: 4-3-1 b,c,d.

I truly don't understand the rationale of wanting to allow the coach to use some ruse to continue a game that is, by rule, completed.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

In Maryland, the rules interpreter will support a forfeit but not by 4-3-1d.

Ron:

This situation could legitimately become a forfeit situation. Any coach who tells his players to violate a rule to extend a game is making a travesty of the game. One could easily argue that this isn't specifically addressed by the rules but rule 10 gives the plate umpire the authority to enforce any penalty he/she considers appropriate. As Interpreter, I would support such a decision.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any coach who tells his players to violate a rule to extend a game is making a travesty of the game. One could easily argue that this isn't specifically addressed by the rules but rule 10 gives the plate umpire the authority to enforce any penalty he/she considers appropriate. As Interpreter, I would support such a decision.
OK..by your interpretor's rationale, the 2nd situation I gave in another post on this thread constitutes a travesty of the game?? He is telling his player to violate a rule to extend a game.

As much as I hate what the coach is doing, in my opinion he appears to be within his rights to take the out however he can "legally" get it. Having his player not touch the bases appears to be within his rights.

Still don't buy it. Agree to disagree
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Maryland, the rules interpreter will support a forfeit but not by 4-3-1d.

Ron:

This situation could legitimately become a forfeit situation. Any coach who tells his players to violate a rule to extend a game is making a travesty of the game. One could easily argue that this isn't specifically addressed by the rules but rule 10 gives the plate umpire the authority to enforce any penalty he/she considers appropriate. As Interpreter, I would support such a decision.
You dont need rule 10 when it is addressed in the rules. People love to fall back on rule 10 for everything...

In any case, your interpreter has the proper result even if he/she took the wrong road to get there.