The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

How to handle?

Had this happen last week and would like some healthy feedback on it. This won't be long, just looking for a 1st impression. I'm C, the point guard in his front court starting to drive down the center of the paint. We split 60-40 between T and C out above the paint so we don't get caught up in both watching in our primary. Okay, this kid starts his dribble/drive and goes into a 'rainbow' layup starting on the outsid of the free throw line. When he finally is coming down and contacts the defense, he's about 3-4 ft. from the front of the rim. Question here is this, should this be the trail's call because it started from his area? or should this be the C's call because of where the foul,(if there was to be one)took place. Alot of us are getting wrapped up in the adage that, 'the play came from my primary'. Well, thats true in all the fouls called, they all come from someone's primary. Comments?
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi
Had this happen last week and would like some healthy feedback on it. This won't be long, just looking for a 1st impression. I'm C, the point guard in his front court starting to drive down the center of the paint. We split 60-40 between T and C out above the paint so we don't get caught up in both watching in our primary. Okay, this kid starts his dribble/drive and goes into a 'rainbow' layup starting on the outsid of the free throw line. When he finally is coming down and contacts the defense, he's about 3-4 ft. from the front of the rim. Question here is this, should this be the trail's call because it started from his area? or should this be the C's call because of where the foul,(if there was to be one)took place. Alot of us are getting wrapped up in the adage that, 'the play came from my primary'. Well, thats true in all the fouls called, they all come from someone's primary. Comments?

If he came straight down the middle, that looks like a great play for you to take. By the way I'm picturing it, you and the L have the best look anyway especially with a secondary defender coming into the picture.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 06:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Ray,

There's no consensus on this type of play. There are two basic schools of thought. Some people believe that if the play starts in the Trail's primary and the contact occurs in the Lead's primary that the Trail has primary responsibility for the foul call. This is the newer way of thinking, and is gaining more acceptance. Other people think that if the contact occurs in my primary (wherever that is), then I have primary responsibility for the foul call, regardless of where the play started. This is the more traditional way of thinking; and I think that most people still feel this way generally (although I couldn't prove it).

The bottom line is that you have to pre-game it and ask your partners how your going to handle that play for that game, just to be sure.

(By the way, even for the first group, sometimes the Lead will have primary responsibility for a call on a drive that starts in the Trail's primary. That will be when the contact is with a secondary defender. But that just complicates things.)
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Ray,

There's no consensus on this type of play. There are two basic schools of thought. Some people believe that if the play starts in the Trail's primary and the contact occurs in the Lead's primary that the Trail has primary responsibility for the foul call. This is the newer way of thinking, and is gaining more acceptance. Other people think that if the contact occurs in my primary (wherever that is), then I have primary responsibility for the foul call, regardless of where the play started. This is the more traditional way of thinking; and I think that most people still feel this way generally (although I couldn't prove it).

The bottom line is that you have to pre-game it and ask your partners how your going to handle that play for that game, just to be sure.

(By the way, even for the first group, sometimes the Lead will have primary responsibility for a call on a drive that starts in the Trail's primary. That will be when the contact is with a secondary defender. But that just complicates things.)
Scrapper, I agree wholeheartly. It should be pre-gamed.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
That was one of the situations that came up during our mid-season meeting today. It was stressed to pre-game it. Our interpreter says that it should be C's primary and L's secondary, especially once the offensive player gets to the FT line.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thx for the reminders on my 'to do' list. Appreciate the comments, knowing all of you have 'walked' that mile places your comments as rules to not be forgotten instead of cross-talk from ref wanabees.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

The center official has half the lane if you review most mechanics manuals. In reality all officials are going to be watching some of that area for different reasons. A pre-game discussion on this specific issue is best. If you cannot talk about this play in detail or forget to talk about it, I would say blow your whistle if you see something that needs to be called. I would just be very cautious and realize that other officials might have something as well and you do not want to have two completely different signals that will cause bigger problems.

Peace