The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

ASA pants

Hey a post on another board got me thinking. We have to wear ASA pants at Nationals this year....ok I ask does anyone have access to their ASA pants.....where do they say ASA on them? I know they are made by Fecheimer but I don't remember seeing any ASA logo or tag on them, I might just be forgetting but if someone has a pair take a look and let me know....I am too impatient to wait till I get home to check mine out
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

They dont. But Is it really worth trying to get away with? (not saying that you are)
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

No ASA on my pants.

But does not every umpire have an ASA tattoo.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

No its not worth it, and No I am not trying to get away with anything I buy all my pants from ASA, our state commis. brings stuff to every state get together so i get to try it on and take it home then, going this Sunday to buy 2 new pairs of plate pants(blue and gray, darn lights shrunk mine over winter)....my only point was 1) I didn't remember seeing anything ASA listed on them (scared about buying new pants for national) and 2) on another site there was concern about price fixing by ASA since we have to buy from them...I do already so i don't care, but if someone truly feels like this is price fixed they can just by Fecheimer pants from somewhere else and they should be fine.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Hey a post on another board got me thinking. We have to wear ASA pants at Nationals this year....ok I ask does anyone have access to their ASA pants.....where do they say ASA on them? I know they are made by Fecheimer but I don't remember seeing any ASA logo or tag on them, I might just be forgetting but if someone has a pair take a look and let me know....I am too impatient to wait till I get home to check mine out
You are correct. However, remember these pants are flat-panel front with western pockets.

If the shade of heather is different, it might give you away.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt that, since NONE of the pants I currently have (all ASA) are the same shade!! and I doubt the pair I buy this year will match the pair I bought last year. I understand that ASA is working with Fecheimer to try to reduce their lot to lot variation in the heather gray...but there is a lot of variation currently. Also if you look closely in the ASA equipment book the two grays in there are NOT the same color!!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

We, we COULD roll down the waistband of the pants, as is the fashion of many JO layers. If it doesn't say Fechheimer...busted
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I doubt that, since NONE of the pants I currently have (all ASA) are the same shade!! and I doubt the pair I buy this year will match the pair I bought last year. I understand that ASA is working with Fecheimer to try to reduce their lot to lot variation in the heather gray...but there is a lot of variation currently. Also if you look closely in the ASA equipment book the two grays in there are NOT the same color!!
First, ASA has a legitimate issue with non-uniform uniforms. That said, specifying the vendor only, and even working with the vendor to reduce lot-to-lot variance will not solve the problem. Differences in gray is caused by:

1) Different manufacturer of pants,
2) Not even using umpiring pants (Dickies, JC Pennys, etc.)
3) Die variation at the same manufacturer

etc..., but even if you control ALL of those, that does not make the grays all the same. Because heather gray fades, badly and quickly. You could buy two pairs of official ASA lot-dye-controlled pants, put one in the closet and wear the other for a season. By the end of the season, they are a different color. Except, maybe for you guys in Seattle where you never have any sun...
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota,
I agree here is most of my post from another board, talking about the requirement of ASA purchased pants as well as some peoples feelings of what that might cause:

Ya you are right I was at a NUS and that point was brought up by Kevin, the pictures in the book don't match!! He also said that Fecheimer (SP?) is going to work with them to try to make a more consistent heather gray, try to eliminate their lot to lot variation of material. I do think that this is a good and bad thing. 1) At my national last year there were several umpires wearing gray pleated dress pants. These are obviously noticably different from umpire pants, also several others had on gray pants with standard cut pockets, that were gapped open showing the white pocket material. I am not a uniform freak like a lot I have seen, but I do think at a National tournament you should look good. 2) I agree with the above statements that price fixing could be an issue...but has not been thus far. Personally my state commisioner brings equipment to EVERY state event to sell so I buy it from him (ASA pants), no shipping costs (I know they are wrapped in there somewhere) and I can try them on prior to buying them!! So to me it is not an issue.

So I do agree that the pants needed to be more uniform and this was their way of doing that. I also agree that there will still be issues because some people will have 20 year old pants worn thousands of times that they will say are ASA pants and it will be impossible to dispute IF they have Fecheimer on the tag. So this step will make it 85% better but there will still be a few that try to get by with old worn out equipment. Kevin's response was PLEASE if your equipment/uniform is worn out replace it.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Guys and gals, there is an easy fix. You can bet your bottom dollar that if we do NOT participate in the ASA program to attempt to have a more uniform gray pant worn by its umpires, we'll be looking at navy blue.

I am not speaking for any member of NUS, but I have heard them be very clear that we do have two options: wear the ASA heather gray purchased from ASA, who is working with Fechheimer to attain uniformity in its pants; or, it's navy blue.

We anal folks up here in Seattle Tacoma who are members of SMSUA have a great uniform program. We can purchase all of our equipment -- from protective cups to pants -- through our own uniform sales program. We receive what amounts to an interest-free loan to purchase our goods. The purchases are paid from our game fees collected by SMSUA.

The program is also handy come tax time because you know exactly how much you spent on uniforms and other essentials.

We have this program in place for all of our members beginning with their second year in the association. It's a great program and, if your association doesn't have something similar in place may be something you want to consider.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well bring on the blue!! I'm an Indiana guy, we wear blue pants all year for ASA. FED is still gray so I have the grays and wear them for FED and when I go to Nationals. Ok I am just kidding about the blue, sort of. I like blue it does show dirt more, but sweat less. I am a big feller, and I sweat a lot, so to me it is less embarassing to have some dust on my pants than it is to see the big sweat spots on my pants. Trade offs with both....

And as I mentioned above I am not against this idea, I am actually for it. Funny but as I was sitting here at my desk I looked up at the picture I have from Nationals last year, the "If" crew.....and yep you guessed it plate ump has on pleated pants, and the other base umpire has "normal" pockets (not western cut pockets)

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 04:44pm.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can tell because they are the ugliest umpire pants on the market. What they should do is buy from honigs if they want to be anal, so we can all have good pants.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You can tell because they are the ugliest umpire pants on the market. What they should do is buy from honigs if they want to be anal, so we can all have good pants.

Another pile of steaming horse****..but Im getting used to it.....
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Except, maybe for you guys in Seattle where you never have any sun...
[hijack]

Actually...

Seattle is located at the most northern latitude of any major city in the USA outside of Alaska. As a result, summer days are long with 16 hours of daylight on June 21. On the other hand, winter days are dark, gloomy, and short with only 8.5 hours of daylight on December 21.

And we even have an "Odds It'll Rain" table, produced by one of our local weather guys.

Basically, we get more sun than the rest of you people think we do.

Ok I'm done.

[/hijack]
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

Basically, we get more sun than the rest of you people think we do.

I've been telling people that for years. This "always rains in Seattle" is total bull. That is just a marketing ploy to keep the undesirables away