Thread: ASA pants
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota,
I agree here is most of my post from another board, talking about the requirement of ASA purchased pants as well as some peoples feelings of what that might cause:

Ya you are right I was at a NUS and that point was brought up by Kevin, the pictures in the book don't match!! He also said that Fecheimer (SP?) is going to work with them to try to make a more consistent heather gray, try to eliminate their lot to lot variation of material. I do think that this is a good and bad thing. 1) At my national last year there were several umpires wearing gray pleated dress pants. These are obviously noticably different from umpire pants, also several others had on gray pants with standard cut pockets, that were gapped open showing the white pocket material. I am not a uniform freak like a lot I have seen, but I do think at a National tournament you should look good. 2) I agree with the above statements that price fixing could be an issue...but has not been thus far. Personally my state commisioner brings equipment to EVERY state event to sell so I buy it from him (ASA pants), no shipping costs (I know they are wrapped in there somewhere) and I can try them on prior to buying them!! So to me it is not an issue.

So I do agree that the pants needed to be more uniform and this was their way of doing that. I also agree that there will still be issues because some people will have 20 year old pants worn thousands of times that they will say are ASA pants and it will be impossible to dispute IF they have Fecheimer on the tag. So this step will make it 85% better but there will still be a few that try to get by with old worn out equipment. Kevin's response was PLEASE if your equipment/uniform is worn out replace it.