The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Dugout Question

I am a new head coach and have a question.

We are planning on having 1-2 of our youth program girls (3rd - 7th graders) be in the dugout during each game to be the bat girls.

Is there any restriction against having anyone other than your team in the dugout? Are they allowed to go on the field to pick-up the bats?

Thanks in advance!
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Unless those individuals act inappropriately, there wouldn't be any reason to question their presence in the dugout.

I would require them to have a batting helmet on any time they entered the field to pick up a bat.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Steve covered this one well, batting helmet when in the field of play, and no crazy activity and all is good.

I would add that this is a great idea. Especially if you can work it out on a rotational basis for several girls to get the chance this will keep the interest in the younger players to strive to develop into high school players. Let them see what they are working for and how much they need to work to develop their game!
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, most rule sets require an underage bat/ball shagger to wear a helmet, so it really isn't up to the individual umpire.

To the OP, having kids as bat/ball shaggers is actually a pretty common practice in my area.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Also make sure that the shaggers understand when they can or cannot leave the dugout to collect bats.

Who can forget the save JT Snow made on Dusty Bakers kid in the 2002 playoffs?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Dugout question

This brings up an interesting point about underage kids in question.

In a 12U rec ball game late last season, a rather young looking female coach came to the home plate meeting. Coach "Suzy" introduced herself and I asked how old she was. She said she was 17 and that she and Coach "Lisa", who was 16 were coaching the team today because they were the assistant coaches and her Dad, the HC, "has to sit out today because he was ejected last night"

I told her that they were gonna have to find an adult to coach today because we (the blues) could not deal w/ minors. Boy, were they po'd and protested, but we got done what needed to be done.

But the issue came up again in the bottom of the first when one of these "girls" went out to coach 1B and I made her put on a helmet -- and again in the top of the third when the other one came out to warm up the catcher w/out a mask.

So, in the 4th inning (between innings) some board member has been summoned from the other end of the park and asks me "why can't these girls coach -- they've been coaching all year". I just told him that we had to have an adult in charge and that "children on the ball field can not elect out of safety rules -- I would not let a batter come up to bat w/out a helmet just because a parent in the stands told me it was OK!"

He seemed to get the message.

Had a similar incident later on that year when I was a guest umpire at a place that allows one coach to sit on a bucket outside the dugout (don't even comment on that -- that's what I was stuck w/ per their park rules when I got there)

Anyway, this 16-year old kid is sitting on this bucket calling pitches in a 12U game -- and the protest was "he's been doing it all year" -- well, it did not happen that day. The next year their rules specified the "bucket coach" and all asst coaches had to be 18!!

Last edited by cpa; Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 03:48am.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
This brings up an interesting point about underage kids in question.

In a 12U rec ball game late last season, a rather young looking female coach came to the home plate meeting. Coach "Suzy" introduced herself and I asked how old she was. She said she was 17 and that she and Coach "Lisa", who was 16 were coaching the team today because they were the assistant coaches and her Dad, the HC, "has to sit out today because he was ejected last night"

I told her that they were gonna have to find an adult to coach today because we (the blues) could not deal w/ minors. Boy, were they po'd and protested, but we got done what needed to be done.

But the issue came up again in the bottom of the first when one of these "girls" went out to coach 1B and I made her put on a helmet -- and again in the top of the third when the other one came out to warm up the catcher w/out a mask.

So, in the 4th inning (between innings) some board member has been summoned from the other end of the park and asks me "why can't these girls coach -- they've been coaching all year". I just told him that we had to have an adult in charge and that "children on the ball field can not elect out of safety rules -- I would not let a batter come up to bat w/out a helmet just because a parent in the stands told me it was OK!"

He seemed to get the message.

Had a similar incident later on that year when I was a guest umpire at a place that allows one coach to sit on a bucket outside the dugout (don't even comment on that -- that's what I was stuck w/ per their park rules when I got there)

Anyway, this 16-year old kid is sitting on this bucket calling pitches in a 12U game -- and the protest was "he's been doing it all year" -- well, it did not happen that day. The next year their rules specified the "bucket coach" and all asst coaches had to be 18!!
What rule set?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

I dont have a prob w/ the safety stuff and think you did good there, especially that kid on the bucket.. but I've had minor coaches before, heck I've had 13 y/o umpires.

I dont know if there are code issues, but I dont think there is an ASA rule or code against it for coaches, and I know it is ok to use minors as umpires.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I dont have a prob w/ the safety stuff and think you did good there, especially that kid on the bucket.. but I've had minor coaches before, heck I've had 13 y/o umpires.

I dont know if there are code issues, but I dont think there is an ASA rule or code against it for coaches, and I know it is ok to use minors as umpires.

Geez!

It's minors playing the game!!!

I would have to have the non-adult shaggers/coaches or other wise protected (helmet and such), but if the league rules allow it, why try to stop it?

We had a 17 year old girl coaching (helping) her younger sisters team a few years back. When she took the field, a helmet was required UNTIL the rec department waived that.

I do believe some rulesets demand an adult at least in the dugout. I believe Dixie baseball does, not sure about Dixie softball.