The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Bad Game Management

I posted this video in the baseball part of the forum but it didn't generate a lot of discussion. Let me know what you guys think these umps could have done better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uurC8...eature=related
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

well you can't really tell what is said, kinda hard to judge the umps based on whats there
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Gave me flashbacks and reminded me why I stopped calling "adult" softball years ago ! It also recalls a time when I was working men's fastpitch in the sticks and after a call, a player yelled to me "that was a bush league call".
I put my arms out and looked around the hills and woods that surrounded the field and shrugged my shoulders as if to say--"well" ??
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I can't hear a darned thing anyone says. All I can tell is that #1 from the blue team is "just one of those guys." HP ump did make one mistake in "chasing" #1 to the shortstop position to give him his warning. I'd have only taken a few steps forward (10-15 feet or so), and calmly said, "short, cool it, let's play ball."

Based on the very limited info, the only thing I'd recommend (that may have happened, but the video didn't show) is to pull the coach/captain aside and tell him to cool his player.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I'd have only taken a few steps forward (10-15 feet or so), and calmly said, "short, cool it, let's play ball."

Based on the very limited info, the only thing I'd recommend (that may have happened, but the video didn't show) is to pull the coach/captain aside and tell him to cool his player.
I like suggestion #1. Address the player, but keep it simple, and allow others the benefit of hearing it, too.

It's rare for teams to trash talk like that. Once players started, I'd call both captains in and warn them that the next player who makes a comment to the other team will be ejected.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60
It's rare for teams to trash talk like that. Once players started, I'd call both captains in and warn them that the next player who makes a comment to the other team will be ejected.
Rare? Where do you live? I'd like to call there!

But yes, I agree - pull the coaches/captains aside and tell them to cool their players, or some guys will have to explain to their wives why they're home early from the game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Pretty rare for things to get out of hand in this area, too. Most adult leagues address stuff like trash talk, profanity, arguing or charging umpires up front and back up any ejections with suspensions.

I work some adult baseball and those games are usually covered by well-trained, experienced officials that excel at game management. Most slow pitch leagues here are sponsored by local parks and rec departments that issue the standards of conduct in writing before the season and see it through. Violate the standards and you won't be playing in their leagues.

The lone men's fastpitch league in this area (I don't work games in it- I play in it!) had one "bad blood" incident last year that got out of control. The next week, the league coordinator got every team together before their games started and read them the riot act. A handful of offenders got two-week suspensions. Didn't have another problem all year!

A comment on the video: That plate umpire needs to work on his (cough, cough) "plate stance". My knees are hurting just watching that!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ultimatums will only get an umpire in trouble. Drawing a line in the sand is only invitation for a test.

Simply tell the coaches to control their teams because if they cannot do there, there is no reason for THEM to be there.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Rare? Where do you live? I'd like to call there!
In Canada. I guess we really are uber-polite up here.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Canada. I guess we really are uber-polite up here.

Not all parts of Canada!!!:
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure this video is even worth discussion.

Anyone could nit pick it but I see nothing glaringly wrong in the video.
Quote:
Gave me flashbacks and reminded me why I stopped calling "adult" softball years ago ! It also recalls a time when I was working men's fastpitch in the sticks and after a call, a player yelled to me "that was a bush league call".
I put my arms out and looked around the hills and woods that surrounded the field and shrugged my shoulders as if to say--"well" ??
I have my patented response to that..

"Bush league? Are you bucking for a promotion?"
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

"Somebody's bucking for a promotion. It's probably that pederast Hanrahan."

Paul
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Ultimatums will only get an umpire in trouble. Drawing a line in the sand is only invitation for a test.

Simply tell the coaches to control their teams because if they cannot do there, there is no reason for THEM to be there.

I completely agree with you Mike. Put the onus back on them. It's the simplest way to remove you (as the ump) from the equation.

I look at it like this. I give the pregame with all the appropriate warnings/rules/regs. Depending on the violation during the game, I may give another warning based on the situation. If the same violation continues, someone has to go. Obvious fighting and (for my particular region) very loud cursing is an automatic ejection...
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe

I give the pregame with all the appropriate warnings/rules/regs. .
I do ASA SP here. There is no pregame, as adult SP leagues are just that- Adults! Pregame warnings only start things in a negative frame, and does anyone really think the coachs are going back to the dugouts and repeat those warnings? and that those players will follow if a situation arises?- Of course not! Those players should know the rules anyway. I figure I did over 150 mens SP games/tourney last summer/fall season- tossed maybe 6-8 for argueing too much after warnings. I believe I would have tossed 6-8 with pregame warnings involved....

As for ASA girls FP (NFHS), a pregame is required, and only legal equip/players, lineup cards, sportsmanship issues are brought up.
Our association follows state (OHSAA) rules mandates on umpires conduct- strongly suggests that pregame warnings are not brought up w/coaches at girls softball/boys baseball games.....

Last edited by archangel; Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 03:54pm.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe
I completely agree with you Mike. Put the onus back on them. It's the simplest way to remove you (as the ump) from the equation.

I look at it like this. I give the pregame with all the appropriate warnings/rules/regs. Depending on the violation during the game, I may give another warning based on the situation. If the same violation continues, someone has to go. Obvious fighting and (for my particular region) very loud cursing is an automatic ejection...
As has been stated on here and at clinics many, many times, pregames are not the place to issue warnings or give a rules clinic. Pregames are simply for introductions, giving the line-ups to the PU, and the PU inspecting the line-ups, covering any necessary ground rules, and flipping a coin if necessary.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.