The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
As has been stated on here and at clinics many, many times, pregames are not the place to issue warnings or give a rules clinic. Pregames are simply for introductions, giving the line-ups to the PU, and the PU inspecting the line-ups, covering any necessary ground rules, and flipping a coin if necessary.

Again, based entirely upon your region, but that's not what we're taught.

Add the fact that I was referring to ASA slowpitch (where we do not handle lineups), and you start to catch my drift.

The items I mentioned are specifically required of the umps in my association in my region. You can't very well tell me not to do exaclty what my UIC and zone rep tell me I should be doing...
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps your UIC and zone rep need to attend a clinic once in a while...
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Perhaps your UIC and zone rep need to attend a clinic once in a while...
Youch!
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe

Add the fact that I was referring to ASA slowpitch (where we do not handle lineups), and you start to catch my drift.

The items I mentioned are specifically required of the umps in my association in my region. You can't very well tell me not to do exaclty what my UIC and zone rep tell me I should be doing...
Not sure exactly how it works (Mike can probably get you in touch with them) but often we will have national staff at our regional clinics (they show up based on invite).

Maybe that might help them.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Read the NFHS Umpiring Manual or the CCA Umpiring Manual. Both hardly "regional," then tell me what they have to say about pregames. I don't have my ASA book here at work with me, but I am sure that it probably echoes the sentiment of the other two, as that is what has always been stated in their clinics.

Seems the only "regional" issue here is the one that is out of step with the nation, yours.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't handle line-ups in SP where you work? Seriously? How then, do you address situations such as BOO, which still applies in SP?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You don't handle line-ups in SP where you work? Seriously? How then, do you address situations such as BOO, which still applies in SP?
We have scorekeepers who do those duties. They're still part of our association, but not usually umpires (although there are some that do both).

The fact that we do things differently doesn't mean we're doing them incorrectly. Like I said...this is how we do things. We're also taught the national preferences as well, but this is not how we handle the regular county leagues.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have scorekeepers who do those duties. They're still part of our association, but not usually umpires (although there are some that do both).

The fact that we do things differently doesn't mean we're doing them incorrectly. Like I said...this is how we do things. We're also taught the national preferences as well, but this is not how we handle the regular county leagues.
JP, I live (but do not call) in the same county as you. What you are saying is not a "Regional" thing. That is only how your association handles it, or wants it handled in your leagues. The fact that the Zone UIC came from your association doesn't make it a Zone directive, either.

One county away, same district, same zone, we have pregames that do NOT include warnings, and we do take lineups from the coaches at pregame.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
JP, I live (but do not call) in the same county as you. What you are saying is not a "Regional" thing. That is only how your association handles it, or wants it handled in your leagues. The fact that the Zone UIC came from your association doesn't make it a Zone directive, either.

One county away, same district, same zone, we have pregames that do NOT include warnings, and we do take lineups from the coaches at pregame.
Right. I should have used the term "county" instead of region. I'm still a young one, remember. I don't have all the zone/region dialect of a true blue yet...