Thread: Around the Horn
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

From an ASA perspective, the only rule relating to this specific activity is 6-7-B. The rule reads, in part, "The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout, a put out or an attempted put out made by the catcher."

So, going "around the horn" is not only legal in the circumstances you asked about, the written rule goes as far as spelling out those particular circumstances. I think that "rules myths" such as this get started when someone not familiar with the rules reads the first part of the rule, but fails to grasp the nuances of the "exceptions" that follow.

Aside from the game management issues and possible game delays that Steve already covered, if I'm working a game under straight ASA rules I am allowing this.

A possible exception would be for local league play, or non-qualifying tournaments where the directors are free to modify the rules as they wish. In those cases, it is not uncommon for thowing the ball around to be banned as a perceived time saving measure. If that is the case, then the modification should be communicated to the coaches prior to the games.

PONY? Can't say. They used to make their rules accessible on-line for free, but now require a charge to download them in a PDF format. Since I don't work any PONY games, I'm not interested in doing that.