The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question about DP/FLEX.

Can DP & FLEX switch for each other? Can FLEX bat for DP and DP play defense for FLEX at the same time? I dont think this is correct.....but I am unsure.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

mrm,
Yes, the Flex may bat for the DP - but the DP has left the game. Yes, the DP may play defense for the Flex - but the Flex has left the game. The DP is the single most potent position in the game - due to all of the flexability of that position. But there are limits to both the DP and to the Flex. One of those limits is that the DP may never play just defense and the Flex may never play just offense.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

I wanna make sure im correct.....

DP Smith Batting in 3'rd spot.

FLEX Jones.

Coach asks that DP Smith plays defense and FLEX Jones bats in DP spot. Not allowed, correct? Unallowed Sub?

DP Smith can play defense but if for the FLEX Jones has left the game in the same sense FLEX can bat for DP but DP leaves the game & FLEX assumed third spot. Jones & Smith cannot swap spots in order. However, FLEX can bat for anybody else in lineup and they remain in the game but only play defense? Thanks Steve.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

ISF
I think we are talking the same thing here with DP and DEFO{defense only }
They can swap around with no penalty as long as they are not in the same batting line up at the same time ie FLEX can bat for DP but no one else .
When FLEX replaces DP in batting line up it is not a sub until the DP returns to their original place in the line up .
If FLEX bats for some one else other than the DPthen this is an illegal re-entry and the coach and player are ejected .
Note . This is ISF and may be different from ASA flex/dp
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Steve,

You said "DP Smith can play defense but if for the FLEX Jones has left the game in the same sense FLEX can bat for DP but DP leaves the game & FLEX assumed third spot. Jones & Smith cannot swap spots in order." This is correct

The you said "However, FLEX can bat for anybody else in lineup and they remain in the game but only play defense?" This is wrong. When the Flex is on offense, it is only for the DP, never for anyone else.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Steve M handled the second part of your question, but I did not see a response to this part:

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I wanna make sure im correct.....

DP Smith Batting in 3'rd spot.

FLEX Jones.

Coach asks that DP Smith plays defense and FLEX Jones bats in DP spot. Not allowed, correct? Unallowed Sub?

With the information provided, there is not a clear cut answer. I'll try to address it.

If the team is on defense, DP Smith and FLEX Jones may both be on the field at the same time. Here is how I remember this. When the DP/FLEX is used the team is playing with 9 batters and 10 defensive players. The 10th defensive player (usually the DP) is playing a defensive position called "bench". A coach has the option of moving defensive players around as much as s/he wants. For example, FLEX Jones is playing right field (F9), Coach decides that he wants DP Smith to play second base (F4) and F4 Brown to play "bench". This is a defensive change and no players have left the game. If DP Smith goes in to play F9 for FLEX Jones, and Jones goes to "bench", Jones has left the game and must use the re-entry if inserted back into the game.

If the team is on offense, FLEX Jones may bat for DP Smith. At this point DP Smith has left the game and must use the re-entry if inserted back into the game.

So the substitution that you asked about would be allowed subject to the information that I related.