The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The point is, it was an extremely unprofessional question for one professing to be a fellow umpire.

What it demonstrates is that he has not fully embraced the profession of umpiring, and still views himself primarily as a player where softball is concerned.
Yes. And no. To those of us more experienced and more seriously entrenched, obviously a wrong question. It is only "extremely unprofessional" in that context; I suspect it is more an unknowing faux pas to him. He hasn't indicated pride in his actions and insisted it wasn't wrong, like so many others who insist they are right in face of overwhelming opposition. He asked if he was wrong to do it; he has been told over and over it was wrong.

About two years ago, I had a "broomstick up the a$$" partner tell me it was "extremely unprofessional" for me to suggest during a top level D1 NCAA pregame that we really didn't hope to need the tiebreaker; this was in the NCAA Leadoff Classic, the game was starting 1:00 late because I had just completed an 11 inning plate game. Probably not the most professional thing I have ever said, but I really smarted and begrudged the unnecessarily harsh comment. That phrase really hurts when you care.

On the other hand, I got to watch and laugh when she made a total fool of herself in that year's (2006) WCWS. But, she got there, I won't (that hurts, too).

I suggest we stop short of where we have gotten in this thread, and go back to " yes, don't do that".
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
On the other hand, I got to watch and laugh when she made a total fool of herself in that year's (2006) WCWS. But, she got there, I won't (that hurts, too).
Why not??

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"