The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a Boy's Varsity Game the other night. A real tough game to call, in that it was very physical on both ends. The teams were pressing often and the game was played at a very fast pace. I called a player control foul early on in the game. The coach immediately started screaming. His comment seemed to show his lack of rules knowledge. He screamed, "how can you call that." The defender's feet were moving." Yes, the defender's feet were moving. They were back pedaling towards his basket. The offensive player was driving to that basket and made contact with the defender in his chest area. I thought it was a simple call. The coach wanted an explanation as I was running past him on a live ball. Naturally, I couldn't stop to give it to him. He rode me a few more times and at one point asked me if the game was too much for me to handle. I looked him dead in the eye and told him it wasn't. My next interaction with him was during a call that I probably should have held the whistle on. I was the lead. I was watching my primary coverage area, when a three point shot was put up from the opposite side. My partner in the trail put up a three point attempt signal. As the ball was in flight, one of the defensive players pushed the player he was guarding. I immediately blew the whistle. The ball went in. I came around the players to report the foul. I signaled to count the three point goal and reported the foul. The coach was livid when he learned that the shot was good and the offense was going to be given the ball back. Luckily, they were not in the bonus. He wanted an explanation and I gave it to him. He couldn't believe that the goal was good and they, the offense, were to retain possession of the ball. His team was up by four at this point and when the ball was in bounded a quick three pointer was scored.

At halftime, I told my partner that I was very close to rewarding the coach with a well deserved "T." I made up my mind that the next time he got on me, I'd give him one final warning. I know that some of my fellow officials are going to say I waited too long. I probably did. Well the half came and went without having to "T" him up. His team, won by two points. In the locker room the coach sent his scorer down to get my name. The coaches rate the officials and I guess he wanted to make sure who I was. I gave it to him. The scorer then informed me that the coach wanted it, so that he could call my interpreter. I wasn't too happy about that, but what could you do. To add insult to injury, he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!

Now I know why some people are content just working the lower level. I'm going to continue to strive to do my best and remain at the varsity level. I am not going to allow him to ruin my love of the game, and I will not blackball him. I could refuse to work future assignments for his team. I am going to show him that I am better than he is. As a matter of fact, I hope I get one of his games next year! Thanks for letting me vent.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
He rode me a few more times and at one point asked me if the game was too much for me to handle.
"No coach - and neither are you." WHACK!
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mark, you are absolutely right! If for nothing else, it would have made me feel better!
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good job. I have a feeling you will be reffing longer than he will be coaching. People watch this kind of behavior.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
In the locker room the coach sent his scorer down to get my name. The coaches rate the officials and I guess he wanted to make sure who I was. I gave it to him. The scorer then informed me that the coach wanted it, so that he could call my interpreter. I wasn't too happy about that, but what could you do. To add insult to injury, he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!
Two comments: (a) it's probably the best thing for you if he DOES call the interpreter. He's clearly wrong, and it'll be good for you if the interpreter hears that you did things right. (b) the coaches SHOULD NOT have access to your dressing room. There is absolutely no excuse for that. It should be reported to your local association, or state board, or whoever has some authority over that school.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To add insult to injury, he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!
Boy - if I had a dollar for every time this happened to me . . .

The guy's being immature, he knows it, you know it, and your partner knows it. It's best to ignore this and move on.

I'm with Juulie on the locker room issue, too - no reason for the coach or the scorer (unless invited) to be there - your name is in the book, and this is clearly a pathetic attempt at intimidation.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I called a player control foul early on in the game. The coach immediately started screaming. His comment seemed to show his lack of rules knowledge. He screamed, "how can you call that." The defender's feet were moving." Yes, the defender's feet were moving. They were back pedaling towards his basket. The offensive player was driving to that basket and made contact with the defender in his chest area. I thought it was a simple call. The coach wanted an explanation as I was running past him on a live ball. Naturally, I couldn't stop to give it to him.

You might have said when I get a chance I'll tell you what I saw.

He rode me a few more times and at one point asked me if the game was too much for me to handle.

At this point he earned the Tee.

My next interaction with him was during a call that I probably should have held the whistle on. I was the lead. I was watching my primary coverage area, when a three point shot was put up from the opposite side. My partner in the trail put up a three point attempt signal. As the ball was in flight, one of the defensive players pushed the player he was guarding.

Great call. Why would you hold the whistle?

The coach was livid.

If you took care of businees per above you wouldn't have had this problem.

he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!

If I were your partner I would have asked him to leave the locker room (he's got no business being there) and not shook his hand.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Worked a Boy's Varsity Game the other night. A real tough game to call, in that it was very physical on both ends. The teams were pressing often and the game was played at a very fast pace. I called a player control foul early on in the game. The coach immediately started screaming. His comment seemed to show his lack of rules knowledge. He screamed, "how can you call that." The defender's feet were moving." Yes, the defender's feet were moving. They were back pedaling towards his basket. The offensive player was driving to that basket and made contact with the defender in his chest area. I thought it was a simple call. The coach wanted an explanation as I was running past him on a live ball. Naturally, I couldn't stop to give it to him. He rode me a few more times and at one point asked me if the game was too much for me to handle. I looked him dead in the eye and told him it wasn't. My next interaction with him was during a call that I probably should have held the whistle on. I was the lead. I was watching my primary coverage area, when a three point shot was put up from the opposite side. My partner in the trail put up a three point attempt signal. As the ball was in flight, one of the defensive players pushed the player he was guarding. I immediately blew the whistle. The ball went in. I came around the players to report the foul. I signaled to count the three point goal and reported the foul. The coach was livid when he learned that the shot was good and the offense was going to be given the ball back. Luckily, they were not in the bonus. He wanted an explanation and I gave it to him. He couldn't believe that the goal was good and they, the offense, were to retain possession of the ball. His team was up by four at this point and when the ball was in bounded a quick three pointer was scored.

At halftime, I told my partner that I was very close to rewarding the coach with a well deserved "T." I made up my mind that the next time he got on me, I'd give him one final warning. I know that some of my fellow officials are going to say I waited too long. I probably did. Well the half came and went without having to "T" him up. His team, won by two points. In the locker room the coach sent his scorer down to get my name. The coaches rate the officials and I guess he wanted to make sure who I was. I gave it to him. The scorer then informed me that the coach wanted it, so that he could call my interpreter. I wasn't too happy about that, but what could you do. To add insult to injury, he came down to the locker room several minutes later and shook my partner's hand. He congratulated him on a "good game" and did not look in my direction. What a jerk!

Now I know why some people are content just working the lower level. I'm going to continue to strive to do my best and remain at the varsity level. I am not going to allow him to ruin my love of the game, and I will not blackball him. I could refuse to work future assignments for his team. I am going to show him that I am better than he is. As a matter of fact, I hope I get one of his games next year! Thanks for letting me vent.
Coupla things:

1. There's nothing wrong with going to the coach with an explanation after you report a foul. Goes double if he's a screamer - that's a good way to put him in his place man to man early on. "C'mon coach, don't you teach your players to move their feet on defense? I know you do, so why are you making a big deal about this?" The calmer you say this the more he'll get the idea that you are in control of him and not to be f*cked with. Of course, you gotta back that up next time he goes after you. And I don't mean with a warnng.

2. I can't help but think that unless B2 pushed A2 to the ground on that shot in a way that made even B's fans drop their jaws you should have left this alone, at least until you saw if the ball went in or not.

3. You should have called your assignor first to give him your side of the story and a heads up.

Hang in there!

Oops, forgot 1 more thing: make sure your name is in the home book & the visitors book for every game. This will avoid the "I need to get your name" mess after games.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jan 10th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
[i]
Coupla things:

1. There's nothing wrong with going to the coach with an explanation after you report a foul. Goes double if he's a screamer - that's a good way to put him in his place man to man early on. "C'mon coach, don't you teach your players to move their feet on defense? I know you do, so why are you making a big deal about this?" The calmer you say this the more he'll get the idea that you are in control of him and not to be f*cked with. Of course, you gotta back that up next time he goes after you. And I don't mean with a warnng.

2. I can't help but think that unless B2 pushed A2 to the ground on that shot in a way that made even B's fans drop their jaws you should have left this alone, at least until you saw if the ball went in or not.

3. You should have called your assignor first to give him your side of the story and a heads up.

Hang in there!

Oops, forgot 1 more thing: make sure your name is in the home book & the visitors book for every game. This will avoid the "I need to get your name" mess after games.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Jan 10th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]

Hi Dan,

I agree with you, however, What are your thoughts on #2. Doesn't happen often but I have made this call. Usually when I do and I am the lead I don't even know that a shot is on its way. It's whistle fist up, swish and count the basket.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with everyone that said the scorer and coach shouldn't be in your dressing room. I wouldn't worry too much about the coach talking to your interpreter. As long as you're doing things correctly, your interpreter should have your back. Also as long as we're venting, I had a freshman AB double header Saturday. During the B game, V coach, who was a jerk, made the comment to me after a call that this was a Freshman B game. I commented back as nicely as I could that there was no separate rules book for Freshman basketball. End of story for me, or so I thought. V wins by 1 in a close game. On my way out V coach brings up again that I need to "relax" because it is a freshman game. I tried to nicely say that if I don't call the game by the rules, how are the players going to be ready to play JV and Varsity, and that I call the game close to the way I call Varsity because I have to be ready for my Varsity games. Coach then tells me that maybe I should just stick to Varsity (not that I would mind that). The little, inner voice in me said, "If I'm too by the book for you how would you like an unsportsmanlike conduct T since I have yet to leave the visual confines of the court, so we shoot a couple more free throws that cost you the game or maybe sends it to overtime." Instead, I took the high road and said thanks coach, have a nice season and walked away. Okay, I'm finished venting too.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Hi Dan,

I agree with you, however, What are your thoughts on #2. Doesn't happen often but I have made this call. Usually when I do and I am the lead I don't even know that a shot is on its way. It's whistle fist up, swish and count the basket. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure, it happens, but I think the OP said his partner's arm was up for 3. To me that says he knew the shot was off.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:08pm
Esteemed Participant

What kind of chickensh!t partner were you with who would let the coach come in and shake his hand, but not yours...NO WAY does that happen if I am your partner..."Coach, you don't belong in here. Get out, now." would be the response he got from me...especailly since you talked about it at halftime and partner knew coach was being an a$$...
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the great imput. I expect nothing short of that posting in this great forum. I'd like to comment on a few suggestions:

"You might have said when I get a chance I'll tell you what I saw."

I think this is a valid response to the coach. I believe my only comment as I was running past was something to the effect of "I didn't see it that way." I should have took the opportunity on a dead ball to address this. My only concern is that I may be inviting a heated discussion several minutes after it was "over." Perhaps my lack of addressing it, simply stirred the boiling pot.

I can't help but think that unless B2 pushed A2 to the ground on that shot in a way that made even B's fans drop their jaws you should have left this alone, at least until you saw if the ball went in or not.

My partner's thoughts exactly. As he explained it, "we were calling fouls based on advantage/disadvantage all game. There was no obvious advantage there, after the ball went in."

You should have called your assignor first to give him your side of the story and a heads up

I am trying to reach him. I left him a message today (based on your suggestion). Thanks!

Make sure your name is in the home book & the visitors book for every game. This will avoid the "I need to get your name" mess after games.

Our names were in the book and he had them on his rating sheet. He probably forgot who was who, ten seconds after we introduced ourselves.

Sorry. I don't know how to post the past comments (bold) like everyone else does.

I am hanging in there!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

even if it's a few trips up and down the court before you can get to the coach to offer an explaination, he now knows that if he doesn't understand something in the future, you will eventually give him an answer and he can drop it for now. i'm not saying he will agree with your explaination, but it get's him off your back until then. if he can't live with that then you'll have to decide what's best for the game.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Just spoke with my interpreter. The coach never called him. My partner did (as I requested him to). My interpreter agreed with my call (on the three point shot). He knows of the coach and explained that he has a reputation for being hard on officials. He also stated that he was the type of guy to want an explanation on every call. If I did spend the time with him most likely nothing would have changed. He faults me for not whacking him. I agree. The next time, I will not be so thick skinned! My partner, who has fifteen years experience on the varsity level, was pleased with my performance. This is my second year. I am a firm believer in always learning and have learned some valuable lessons. Thanks to everyone for contributing to that learning experience.