The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do when... (ASA SP Mechanics)

2-umpire system, and your BU is still sitting his happy butt over in B. Trailing runner is heading for 3B, and you see there's gonna be a tight tag play. I see this a lot with rec-league umpires.

Let him fry? Or you make the call?

And yes, for the record, I have been BU and brain farted on this very play. Fortunately, I had a good PU with me, and the calls were made without anyone noticing I'd screwed up (except my PU, of course).

Hey, I'll admit it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
...you see there's gonna be a tight tag play... Let him fry? Or you make the call? ... Fortunately, I had a good PU with me, and the calls were made ...
I think you answered your own question. It sounds like whether you let the BU fry or not depends on whether you are a good PU or not.

(I'm personnal not so great, so the BU might be out of luck.)
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2-umpire system, and your BU is still sitting his happy butt over in B. Trailing runner is heading for 3B, and you see there's gonna be a tight tag play. I see this a lot with rec-league umpires.

Let him fry? Or you make the call?

And yes, for the record, I have been BU and brain farted on this very play. Fortunately, I had a good PU with me, and the calls were made without anyone noticing I'd screwed up (except my PU, of course).

Hey, I'll admit it.
What is to be gained by "frying" your partner except to put you both in the "pan" for the rest of the game?

Just make sure he understands his mistake so it won't happen again.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
What is to be gained by "frying" your partner except to put you both in the "pan" for the rest of the game?

Just make sure he understands his mistake so it won't happen again.
Holy $h!t, for once I agree with you.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, and in that situation, I'm often in the holding zone when possible (assuming there was no immediate play at HP). If my partner doesn't look like he's going to make a call, I'll get in there and do it the wrong way.

However, it's my understanding that both of you could get dinged in your review for PU making that call at 3B. The important thing is to get it right, of course, but I'll be damned if I'll get dinged for something my partner failed to do (not that my last review was worth a darn anyway - a 3 for hustle? I'm the fastest ump on our crew! BS!).

Any UICs care to comment on that kind of situation? How would you grade if you saw that?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, and in that situation, I'm often in the holding zone when possible (assuming there was no immediate play at HP). If my partner doesn't look like he's going to make a call, I'll get in there and do it the wrong way.

However, it's my understanding that both of you could get dinged in your review for PU making that call at 3B. The important thing is to get it right, of course, but I'll be damned if I'll get dinged for something my partner failed to do (not that my last review was worth a darn anyway - a 3 for hustle? I'm the fastest ump on our crew! BS!).

Any UICs care to comment on that kind of situation? How would you grade if you saw that?
As bad as it sounds....both of you get the *** chewing.... the BU for NOT making the call..and the PU for making it.... Ive seen (more than once)...the plate ump think the BU is not going to make that call (from across the diamond), only to have a "safe"/"out"..and the resulting UIC heart attack that follows...

If youre going to go get it...say "I've got three"..If you're lucky..your partner wont make a call also, and you can hammer it out between innings....
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

You are in the holding zone on the 3B line as close to 3B as you can be without setting yourself up to miss a call at the plate. If you realize the BU has failed to move into position and you can, call the play.

"I've got third, I've got third", move inside the diamond and make the call.

Between innings, have a little discussion with your partner reminding him/her (not them) of the BU's responsibilities and you may not be able to cover it the next time if there is a possible play at the plate.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Darrell and Mike. Pick up the call, if necessary, but be sure to communicate to be sure there isn't a double call. Then, make sure it is clear that is a one-time situation, not an intentional variation from mechanics.

As a UIC, I ding the BU, obviously; I only ding the PU if he does it routinely, rather than as required.
Old Fri Aug 03, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You are in the holding zone on the 3B line as close to 3B as you can be without setting yourself up to miss a call at the plate. If you realize the BU has failed to move into position and you can, call the play.

Between innings, have a little discussion with your partner reminding him/her (not them) of the BU's responsibilities and you may not be able to cover it the next time if there is a possible play at the plate.

That is exactly the way we were taught to cover in this "just in case" scenario...
Old Fri Aug 03, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

And that's basically what I do, minus the discussion between innings for rec league games. Most of these guys are significantly older than I am, so the likelihood of them listening to the "young guy" is small. Also, any of these guys have no desire to advance beyond rec league, and that's fine with me. I'll cover third, and most people won't notice anyway. But in a tourney, that's different. I don't want to get dinged because my partner failed to do his/her job.