The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I see the light...

When I was a coach I was often accused by my friends in blue of having gone over to the dark side...but now that I'm retired (for now) I'm beginning to see the light...

This all happened in one game at Aunt Rosie's 18U Tournament this weekend...

Early in game...BU calls BR out after close play at 1B for 3rd out of inning. Visiting coach and her asst. both run out to protest call. This double-team of BU did not sit well with PU but he smartly diffused this sitch with a smile as he intercepts asst. and walks him back to his bench.

Next inning...catcher steps into basepath between 3B and home well before receiving throw and knocks runner into orbit...same visiting (now defensive) coach asks for interference and says to PU (after he makes proper obstruction call) "What? My catchers not allowed to make a play?". PU calmly explains ASA rule. Unhappy coach then very loudly (she's now playing to the fans, not sure if PU heard this as he was walking back to plate) says to asst. coach..."Go to the car and get the rule book". The asst. did retrieve the rulebook and had it folded in his back pocket, but to his credit he never whipped it out (ala Blazing Saddles).

Bottom sixth inning...PU informs both coaches that there are only 7 minutes left on clock. Visiting coach then allows her catcher to repeatedly throw to 1B to try to pick off runner, eating up precious time in a 3-1 game. Of course, time expires and visiting coach loses game.

Hmmm....

Last edited by bellnier; Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 01:24pm.