The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Last second shot with light (NFHS)

Last week...Boys NFHS District game...winner to state.

2.6 seconds left in regulation...Team A down by 2 with a throw-in at the endline.
Team A gets three trys at the basket with the last try in Player A1's hand as the horn goes off. C opposite table blows whistle and waves off shot as the ball goes in the basket and the light (yes, light) turns on LATE.

Team B and fans rush the floor thinking they have gone to the state playoffs. Team B coach is hollering for a T because the game "is not over, the light went on as the ball went in."

Officials get together with the table and decide (just as the C had) the horn went off in the player's hand...and the light has nothing to do with the last shot. The officials leave the confines of the court to a chorus of boo's from Team A's fans.

Team A's athletic director came into the officials locker room, very respectfully, and asked if he could protest the game...due to a rules violation concerning the light on the backboard.

Whatta ya got?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules state that the horn signals end of period/game. I would have to go with the horn on this one.

(edited to fix fat finger...)
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:30am
M.A.S.H.

They also state a red light or LED light is permitted to supplement the audible timer's signal that time has expired for a quarter or extra period. It shall be synchronized with this signal.

I agree though, I'm listening for the horn. I suppose they have an arguement with the state that the light wasn't synchronized with the horn. Not sure if your state allows protests, but I doubt this will go anywhere.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Normally, the horn and light are in sync with one another.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Washington state does allow protests...

in fact, a V girls game was replayed just this year...because of a correctable error situation. Game was replayed from the point of the error that was administered incorrectly.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

tjones... in my mind the key word in the rule is "supplement". In the case of the OP, the horn functioned properly so I would think we, as officials, are OK going with the horn. As you say, let them protest...
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
tjones... in my mind the key word in the rule is "supplement". In the case of the OP, the horn functioned properly so I would think we, as officials, are OK going with the horn. As you say, let them protest...
I agree. I'm ok with the horn. It'd be an interesting tape to review. As long as you can hear the horn I don't really see this going anywhere.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I was the R for this game...three person crew. We had two teams from our "association's service area" and two officials from our association assigned to this game. One official was from another association...a top official btw, who was the C in this case.

I'm scheduled for another game at this site, this Thursday...possibly the team that lost vs. another team in our area...loser out.

It will be interesting to see if the Coach has reviewed the tape and what his findings are...it will also be interesting to see if game mng. has tested the light to see if it is in sync with the horn.

FWIW...when the AD came into our locker room...I pretty much told him what we have said here. The horn signals the end of the game...he could protest if he wanted too...but, since we had left the confines of the court I told him the score had been approved by us. I advised him this could come into play regarding the protest.

Oh yeah...JR...I said I would get back to you regarding the dreaded "BLARGE" call...this "top" official, who has done numerous state playoffs, said he would go with the double foul on the blarge. (We talked about it in pre-game)
BUT...I have talked to other officials from other associations and those who do college ball...the majority say, get one or the other.

So...the jury's still out as far as other official's opinions...but, it's looking more and more like a person might just be better off going with the ol rule book and staying consistent....what a surprise.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I know that in WI there is no such thing as a "protest". I am without my book in hand right now - but isn't that also true in the Fed?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Since it is not possible for the team to have known the light would be late, it could have had no effect on their actions or the timing of their shot.

While they may have hoped the shot would count, there is no basis for it counting since the horn sounded (assuming it sounded correctly) to end the game....if the officials couldn't hear the horn, they'd have actually got extra time.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Protests ???

NFHS Rule 5-4-2 "The NFHS does not recognize protests".
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
NFHS Rulebook, page 1, first paragraph, third sentence:

"Member Associations of the NFHS independently make decisions regarding compliance with or modification of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states."
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
The NFHS may not but that doesn't stop a state association from doing so if they wish.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
NFHS Rulebook, page 1, first paragraph, third sentence:

"Member Associations of the NFHS independently make decisions regarding compliance with or modification of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states."
That doesn't mean that the FED approves those modifications though. From the NFHS rulebook, page 10, third paragraph--"It is the policy of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee that there be no deviation from the rules unless experimental approval has been granted by the NFHS liaison to the rules committee."

Iow, if a state wants to use a shot clock for instance, they certainly can do so. But by doing so, they are usually leaving themselves open to possible FED sanctions, which are usually something along the line of not allowing that state to have any representation or input on or to the NFHS rules committee.

Does the baseball rulebook carry the same type of language under "the Intent and Purpose of the Rules" too, Garth?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:31pm

Last Friday the AD came in and told us that they had a clock where the numbers go to 00:00 and then a full one second later the horn blows. The home coach knew it of course and we made sure the visitors were told. I never did get the story straight whether or not if it was broke or if that was the way it was made. This was about the largest school population wise in the state so you would think they could afford to get it changed. We just handled it so that the horn ends the period but we didn't need to worry about it though as we had no last second excitement. My partner had heard a story that somebody somewhere with a similar clock handle it by having one official be responsible for blowing a whistle at 00:00 and going by that rather than waiting for the horn. Anybody ever heard of that before?