The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Could someone out there please give a definitive answer to what the officials look/listen for when they check the monitor to tell whether a goal counts at the end of a half in NCAA play?
Has there been a memo on the priority of the horn sounding, clock showing zeros, or the light coming on?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

The Light, horn, and clock are supposed to be the same when 0:00's hit. THe monitor has to show the light with the clock insert. So, you should be able to tell by either/or clock and light.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

You may remember from the Texas at Providence game earlier this year, the light is the definitive end of the game; not the horn (can't hear it on the replay) or the clock.

In this game, a Texas player released a game winning shot so close to time expiring that they used replay to determine that the shot should count. Here's the kicker, the ball was still in the shooter's hand when the game clock showed 0:00, but was deemed to have been out of the shooters hand when the red light went on behind the backboard. Although the light is supposed to illuminate at exactly the same time as the clock reaches 0:00, there was a slight delay between the clock and the light. That exceedingly small delay allowed the officials to deem the shot had been released before the end of the game. The officials released a statement after the game that said the light and not the horn or clock, signals the end of the game.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, light and horn have to be at the same time.

The clock can be up to 0.1 off, so that's the last resort.

As for the first two, in a replay situation, horn takes precedent, I believe.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

nothing for sure yet

Well, we have some conflicting opinions so far. I do recall the TX/Prov game and that situation. One would think that the NCAA would release a memo to cover this non-sync situation.
I also know that the officials have a headset that they put on to hear while watching the replay monitor.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

The headset is to communicate w/ the TV producer/director to obtain the replay with the best angle. The horn has absolutely no impact during the TV replay/review.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

No Mark, the light takes precedent.

The Texas game was handled correctly. Tim Higgins and John Clougherty correctly ruled that the ball was released prior to the light being lit.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

No Mark, the light takes precedent.

The Texas game was handled correctly. Tim Higgins and John Clougherty correctly ruled that the ball was released prior to the light being lit.
Thank you, Tony. So if I understand this correctly, when a buzzer beater occurs in a D-I game, the officials will certainly go to the monitor and have a look. Therefore, the sounding of the horn is totally worthless.

They will look for the light behind or around the backboard coming on, which should be simultaneous with the clock showing 0.0, but if it is not the light will take priority over the clock.

It looks like 1. light 2. clock 3. horn (meaningless)

PS Do you have anything written by the NCAA on this or are you just going from the TX/Prov game and what was said after it?
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

And the big reason for the horn being last...

The speed of sound AND crowd noise. Both impact the perception of when the horn actually sounded where the light and clock are unaffected by the environment.

The light is the most easily used since it is binary...on or off, nothing between, especially if they're LED based lights that illuminate nearly instantaneosuly.

The timing of hearing the horn depends on where the horn is physically located. It could differ by one or two tenths depending where you are in relation to the horn.

As others mentioned, sound is also not available on the replays.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Just to raise a fuss, I'll throw this in to the mix. Light is also affected by environment. Light is refracted by smoke or fog. So for those ever important games played in bowling allys or outside, there could be some error.

Furthermore, its widely known that we are all blind so could we even see the light if we wanted to so it? But then again I guess that's why the replay is in place.

Doesn't really even matter to me. I only work HS and below, although I've done games at schools that have the light. Per Fed the horn is the ultimate judge and there is no replay anyway. This is based on 0:00 in a HS gym could actually be 0:00.4. Horn = 0:00.0 and the end of the game. Guess HS officials better be able to hear. NCAA is just following the American's with Disabilities Act and making a better environment for the hearing impared. (Just a joke there, I've worked with a deaf referee before and the only difference was we discussed listening for the horn and how to handle it in the pregame.)
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

The speed of sound AND crowd noise. Both impact the perception of when the horn actually sounded where the light and clock are unaffected by the environment.

The light is the most easily used since it is binary...on or off, nothing between, especially if they're LED based lights that illuminate nearly instantaneosuly.

The timing of hearing the horn depends on where the horn is physically located. It could differ by one or two tenths depending where you are in relation to the horn.

If it were available, I'm not sure it would be conclusive. When you're looking at a slow-motion replay, frame by frame, it's relatively easy to see when the light is on or off. But, when slowed down considerably, it is difficult to identify sounds. If you could completely isolate the sound of the horn, that would be one thing. But to try and pick it out of the background noise when reviewing video at low speed would be, I think, nearly impossible.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I think the math here is a bit inaccurate. One would think that you're at most 94 feet from the horn. Sound travels that distance in 0.08s (8/100ths of a second). cut that time in (at least) half if the horn is located at mid-court or there is more than one horn. So, the sounding of the horn will not differ by tenths of a second, but rather hundredths of a second.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

I think the math here is a bit inaccurate. One would think that you're at most 94 feet from the horn. Sound travels that distance in 0.08s (8/100ths of a second). cut that time in (at least) half if the horn is located at mid-court or there is more than one horn. So, the sounding of the horn will not differ by tenths of a second, but rather hundredths of a second.
Sound still has nothing on the speed of light.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:23am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

PS Do you have anything written by the NCAA on this or are you just going from the TX/Prov game and what was said after it?
Don't know if Tony has anything written on it, but i do, and he is correct...we got it in one of the conference call memos the supervisors send out earlier this year...
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

The light is accepeted as the full expiration of time. Remember the time before when we did not have tenths of a second on the clock or the lights behind the backboard. A clock could be stopped with 0:00, yet time would not have expired because the horn had not sounded. That's because there could have been anywhere from .1 to .9 of a second remaining.

Well, with the new clocks, the same principle applies only we're talking about hundredths of a second now instead of tenths. If the clock shows 0:00.0, but the light has not yet illuminated, it means there is anywhere between .01 to .09 of a second remaining. The Texas/Providence game was the prime example of this situation. Hence, the clarification.