The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Choach quotes rule 5.5.1

ASA rules, runner on third, two outs. Ball hit to shortstop, runner (very fast) easily touches home before the out at first. No brainier right? Wrong! As I always do, I call the out and then I look to the visitor book and announce the run does not score and then to the home book and repeated that the run does not score.

BOOM! Like a shot the coach is right in front of me, "What do you mean? The run does not score. He touched the plate before the out was made."

Again as I always do I calmly explain, "Yes sir he did, but the run does not score if the third out is the result of a force play The batter was out at first base." The coach turns around and retunes to the dugout.

But before he gets there he tells me that, "According to rule 5.5.1 the run scores. I read that last night. When was the last time you read the rule book?"

"Well as it so happens coach I read the rule book today in my car before this game. So we'll go with my ruling and the run will not score."

But wait it gets better! Later in the same game, One out runners at first and second. Fly ball hit to center field, Runner at second is off like a shot. Ball is caught for out number two. Defense throws the ball in as the runner is rounding third heading home and scores. Picher cuts off the throw and throws back to second where the runner from first is out on a close play for out number three. I wait .... and wait. The defense leaves the field, I tell the teams that the run scores. Out comes the coach, "What do you mean, the run scores? Our run did not score."

"This run was not the result of a force play, the runner crossed second before the other runner was tagged out at second."

"We want to appeal the runner leaving early."

"You can't do that as all of your players have left the field the play stands as called."

"WHAT we can't appeal that she left early?"

"Yes you can, but that appeal needs to be before your team leaves the field."
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
But before he gets there he tells me that, "According to rule 5.5.1 the run scores. I read that last night. When was the last time you read the rule book?"

"Well as it so happens coach I read the rule book today in my car before this game. So we'll go with my ruling and the run will not score."
Or, you could have pointed out that there is no rule 5-5-1; there is 5-5-A, 5-5-B, and 5-5-B (again!), and that he needs to read the WHOLE rule 5, and that he will now have plenty of time to do so in the parking lot.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Or, you could have pointed out that there is no rule 5-5-1; there is 5-5-A, 5-5-B, and 5-5-B (again!), and that he needs to read the WHOLE rule 5, and that he will now have plenty of time to do so in the parking lot.
Are you saying you would eject for "When was the last time you read the rule book?" even after saying "I read the rule book today in my car "?
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Are you saying you would eject for "When was the last time you read the rule book?" even after saying "I read the rule book today in my car "?
No; my suggested response was INSTEAD of the one given to the coach. And, it was only half-serious, but after re-reading the OP, I noticed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
...BOOM! Like a shot the coach is right in front of me, ...The coach turns around and retunes to the dugout.

But before he gets there he tells me that, "According to rule 5.5.1 the run scores. I read that last night. When was the last time you read the rule book?".
Sounds like the comment about reading the rule book was said from a distance, and probably loud enough for others to hear, and was intended as a shot at the umpire. Maybe I was serious about tossing him.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

At least he knows there is a rule book and which rule# and section the rule is in, even if he is wrong about the rule. That's probably more than a lot of coaches.

I agree, though, REALLY bad way to approach you.

"When was the last time you read the rule book"

"When was the last time you watched a game from the parking lot?"
part-time coach,
here to learn.