The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dead Ball Advancement (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/36779-dead-ball-advancement.html)

bkbjones Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61
Yes,
the double entendre was intentional

Nice to know that even with all these drugs I can still catch those things.

Nicely done on your end. Well, er, not literally your end...no double entendre even thought about until it just came right out of my fingers onto the keyboard...:D

greymule Sun Jul 29, 2007 09:22am

I have seen people sent home on more than one occassion and others told to just stay at the hotel if travel arrangements are already booked.

For calls on the field?

scottk_61 Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
I have seen people sent home on more than one occassion and others told to just stay at the hotel if travel arrangements are already booked.

For calls on the field?

When they were outrageous and out of line with an attitude like our resident troll exemplifies, absotlutely!

I have worked between 35 to 40 Nationals over the years and as a co ordinator at quite a few others. Over all of those years, it has gotten less common to send them home but being sent to the hotel or left in the umpire room seems to be gaining prominence again.

If you can't get with the program and keep an attitude of cooperation with the UIC and other blues, many of the Regional staff and other UICs have no use for you.
I agree with them.

The worst behaviors need to be weeded out, a National is the place to have and show the best, not juvenille and ill prepared umpires.

There was one National that I was at where an umpire was sent home right after the umpire meeting because he was more interested in talking than in listening to the UIC.
For the most part, the umpires thanked the UIC for taking that action.

jimpiano Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:21pm

Class D Tournament

Great tournament in Columbus over the weekend, Class D, 32 teams from all over the state. Warren Jones, ASA Ohio, runs a good show.

3 man crews working two to a game, one man off, all day long.

Had the pop up slide at first base on the white bag. Too bad the runner was out so no chance to test out the argument over his possession of the white bag, only.

Notes: Don't much care for the new system that has base umpire on the first base side of second base with no one on. In fact, it takes another set of eyes off the foul line past first on shot down the line or a borderline foul ball hit to right field.

Despite the penalty for a home run the players on our diamond hit about a 2 dozen out over the course of a day. The players felt the ball used should be a lot less lively. One pitcher used a full helmet on the mound.

Stealing was in effect which was something new for the players and most of the umpires. It did lead me to conclude that the double fist pump is a good way to signal dead ball when the ball fails to cross the plate.:D

azbigdawg Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:45pm

dont know why I even look....I guess Im just expecting a new level of idiocy...and usually Im rewarded.....

NCASAUmp Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg
dont know why I even look....I guess Im just expecting a new level of idiocy...and usually Im rewarded.....

3 words come to mind, man... "Glutton for punishment."

Then again, we're umpires. That category fits us well by definition.

bkbjones Mon Jul 30, 2007 02:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg

gosh, two days before a national and you say THAT? :D

Hope things go well down there. Wish I was there (longggggg siiiiiighhhhh)

azbigdawg Mon Jul 30, 2007 04:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
gosh, two days before a national and you say THAT? :D

Hope things go well down there. Wish I was there (longggggg siiiiiighhhhh)

I thought I managed to avoid it totally...didnt wanna be a site UIC..didnt wanna work it..... but it got so damn big I volunteered for some games on wed/thurs.... not HUGE..(66 teams), but big enough to go to 3 sites..... we have a split day, 7,8,11..6,8,10pm..so we had to spread it out...

come down next time....

BretMan Mon Jul 30, 2007 09:01am

Holy smokes! :eek:

Jimmy the "P" was right here in my hometown over the weekend!

If only I had known...could have dropped by the park and given you all a first hand account...

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
Great tournament in Columbus over the weekend, Class D, 32 teams from all over the state. Warren Jones, ASA Ohio, runs a good show.

There WAS a tournament in Columbus over the weekend. It was ASA Girls 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U. Unfortunately, not Class D (it was slowpitch though) ... and not Columbus OHIO either... Columbus Georgia. It is possibly PWL was THAT lost that he didn't know what state he was in?!?!?

BretMan Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56am

As intent as you may be to prove that JP is "making stuff up", the ASA website indicates that there was a men's slow pitch class D tournament in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend.

I haven't worked any slow pitch at all this year (and very little in my career) and had no first-hand knowledge of this tournament.

jimpiano Mon Jul 30, 2007 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder
There WAS a tournament in Columbus over the weekend. It was ASA Girls 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U. Unfortunately, not Class D (it was slowpitch though) ... and not Columbus OHIO either... Columbus Georgia. It is possibly PWL was THAT lost that he didn't know what state he was in?!?!?

You may want to check on Columbus,Ohio
http://www.ohioasasoftball.org/pages...urnaments.html

Mountaineer Mon Jul 30, 2007 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
You may want to check on Columbus,Ohio
http://www.ohioasasoftball.org/pages...urnaments.html

This is starting to get interesting . . .

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 30, 2007 07:15pm

Guys, stop. Just stop. You're making my rule book hurt.

azbigdawg Mon Jul 30, 2007 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
This is starting to get interesting . . .

Not really... does it matter where he was doing his piss-poor umpiring? I dont think so....