The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dead Ball Advancement (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/36779-dead-ball-advancement.html)

jimpiano Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:08pm

Dead Ball Advancement

R1 on first with no outs......Batter hits long high fly to deep right and R1 is off and running...Rightfielder makes incredible catch and falls over the fence.

R1 is past second when umpire declares dead ball.

ASA rules.

Umpire yells " Out! Dead Ball, runners advance one base."

Assuming R1 retouches first, what base is he/she entitled to?

azbigdawg Sat Jul 21, 2007 01:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
R1 on first with no outs......Batter hits long high fly to deep right and R1 is off and running...Rightfielder makes incredible catch and falls over the fence.

ASA rules.

3rd......... If the catch was in play....

bkbjones Sat Jul 21, 2007 04:05am

Quote:

ASA rules.

Your ASA rules, or REAL ASA rules?

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:04am

Quote:

ASA rules.

Call: "Dead ball" then "Out" then hesitate to see runner's reaction prior to announcing any award. When you are satisfied the runner has finished the base-running task at hand, announce the one base award. (8.6.J)

jimpiano Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Call: "Dead ball" then "Out" then hesitate to see runner's reaction prior to announcing any award. When you are satisfied the runner has finished the base-running task at hand, announce the one base award. (8.6.J)

The question was "what" base is r1 entitled to?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:55am

Quote:

The question was "what" base is r1 entitled to?

Let's see, according to the rule cited it is one base from the time the ball became dead. OP stated the runner had passed 2B.

1 + 2 = 3

Pretty simple, huh?

Mountaineer Sun Jul 22, 2007 05:23pm

Am I missing something here? I'm sleep deprived so maybe I am . . . Wasn't this a caught flyball and the runner was "off and running". Wouldn't 1st base be considered the last base touched since they would have to tag up on the caught fly ball? Or do you award 3rd and they have to go back and re touch or risk being out on appeal?

Did I just answer my own question?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 22, 2007 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Am I missing something here? I'm sleep deprived so maybe I am . . . Wasn't this a caught flyball and the runner was "off and running". Wouldn't 1st base be considered the last base touched since they would have to tag up on the caught fly ball? Or do you award 3rd and they have to go back and re touch or risk being out on appeal?

Did I just answer my own question?

R1 is past second when umpire declares dead ball

Pretty clear to me the last base touched was 2nd.

Mountaineer Sun Jul 22, 2007 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
R1 is past second when umpire declares dead ball

Pretty clear to me the last base touched was 2nd.

OK Mike, I'm disputing that. She has to retouch 1st - right? Then she gets 3rd? For some reason that just seems wrong to me.

NCASAUmp Sun Jul 22, 2007 09:49pm

Quote:

OK Mike, I'm disputing that. She has to retouch 1st - right? Then she gets 3rd? For some reason that just seems wrong to me.

Mike is 100% correct.

8-5-J: When a live ball is unintentionally carried by a fielder from live ball territory. Effect: The ball is dead and runners are awarded one base from the last base touched at the time the fielder left live ball territory.

Since R1 had already touched 2B BEFORE the fielder left live ball territory, R1 is awarded 3B. However, they must touch 2B, then touch 1B to "tag up" after the ball was caught. Then, they must retouch 2B and advance to their awarded base, which is 3B. If they fail to touch any of those bases in that order, the defense may appeal a missed base. Yes, it seems like a lot of unncessary running, but hey, those are the rules.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 23, 2007 06:31am

Quote:

For the purpose of rule application, softball, at least ASA, considers any base passed is a base touched. There is no rule which demands a runner return to touch a base missed or left too soon. However, there is a rule which places that runner in jeopardy and available to be ruled out on appeal should they not do so.

CecilOne Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:51am

You two should be writing the rule supplements. :cool: :)

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
You two should be writing the rule supplements. :cool: :)

I hope and pray that you're not referring to me, because I'd probably re-write the whole book! ;)

CecilOne Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I hope and pray that you're not referring to me, because I'd probably re-write the whole book! ;)

Can you start today? ;)

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
Can you start today? ;)

Don't tempt me! Though if I do, I'd make Mike the senior editor. I'm just a 15-year rookie, and I still screw up now and then. :)