The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Should I have ejected the TD/UIC? :)

ASA Mens FP with Paid official Scorekeeper. I'm PU.

Inning with a lot of action.. 1 run scored. End of 1/2 inning when score keeper updates the runs inning etc. Team points out that 2 runs were put up.

I go and talk to the score keepers.. who is positive that two runs scored... (maybe i missed one I'm thinkin?? I some times lose track..) .. well in short order there is a fire storm of heckling of the score keeper from BOTH benches that only 1 run scored (neither team is keeping a book but both are agreeing on the score) . So I calm down the heckling with some talking and a general warning, the score keeper lady is all upset. I go an talk to my BU who is positive only 1 run scored. We decide we have to over rule the score keeper and make the score right.

So I tactfully tell the very upset score keeper that I'm not sure where the error was, but no big deal, everyone makes mistakes but we gotta fix it and announce the score. The score board is corrected, then she suddenly yells time out time out.. play has to stop while she gets the TD. I tell her we are going, and put the ball in play.

The TD/UIC and head tourney scorekeeper comes over, talks with her (I'm working the game) and states the score is correct and puts the run back on the board (never getting my side of the issue before changing the score back).

Between innings I can feel myself getting livid talking to the td. I was very clear to the TD about who's was in charge. He says we will talk after the game, but the score stands and leaves.

OK, no big deal in terms of the game because it wasnt close (luckily)..

Anyway, we talk again after the game I'm very clear, I bust out the ASA Rule (I forget the # now and I'm in the lobby of the tourney hotel). Pretty well set him straight that he is never to do that to my field again, I am the chief official of the game as PU and that was the end of it.

So thats how my day went in mens FP.. plus 2 ejections.

Fun times.

As a side note, Generally Iget along pretty well with the UIC guy but somehow a rumor has been started that I DID eject the TD...
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
ASA Mens FP with Paid official Scorekeeper. I'm PU.

Inning with a lot of action.. 1 run scored. End of 1/2 inning when score keeper updates the runs inning etc. Team points out that 2 runs were put up.

I go and talk to the score keepers.. who is positive that two runs scored... (maybe i missed one I'm thinkin?? I some times lose track..) .. well in short order there is a fire storm of heckling of the score keeper from BOTH benches that only 1 run scored (neither team is keeping a book but both are agreeing on the score) . So I calm down the heckling with some talking and a general warning, the score keeper lady is all upset. I go an talk to my BU who is positive only 1 run scored. We decide we have to over rule the score keeper and make the score right.
Not an umpire problem. Official scorekeeper makes a mistake, that is between the scorekeeper and the teams. She had a supervisor, team not happy with scorekeeper's response can go to him/her. Teams not smart enough to keep a book deserve whatever they get.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the score book is not an umpire issue. We are instructed in city league to ask each team between half innings what they show as the game score and if we get a different answer, then they have to pow wow. But, we do not delay the game for that and really only consider the score in the later innings of timed play because a tie will extend a game.

This league is played at several locations so the liklihood of having both a league rep and UIC is very slim except in championship play. I ejected a coach in the city semi's last year and had to call it in.

Maybe someone could suggest that we pay a third blue to keep the book.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Maybe someone could suggest that we pay a third blue to keep the book.
Shes a paid scorekeeper, effectively a 3rd blue.

I had the plate in the championship game today, which was for money (and not a small amount) and she did it again. This time I knew exactly the number of the runner she missed, since I knew who scored.

BS that its not a umpire problem because it quickly becomes an umpire problem when the score is wrong and you are in the middle. I got a game to work and I shouldnt be worrying about whether she is getting the runs right.

She disappeared for a few minutes then returned and put the run on the board, so not sure who she went and asked or how she got it figured out, but she did it without input from me and only a little heckling from the teams about the scoreboard. Maybe she is new, dunno.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BS that its not a umpire problem because it quickly becomes an umpire problem when the score is wrong and you are in the middle. I got a game to work and I shouldnt be worrying about whether she is getting the runs right.
It's only your problem if you allow to become your problem. The only time a run is an umpire issue is when an umpire must determine if a run scored or not on the final out of the half-inning.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
It's only your problem if you allow to become your problem. The only time a run is an umpire issue is when an umpire must determine if a run scored or not on the final out of the half-inning.
Well thats theory. And theory, you could be right. I was actually there, so that means nothing. I am not the type to feed that little lady to the wolves. Theory you may be right. This is an instance where theory doesnt mean squat. I would HOPE on the field you would had more common sense than that.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well thats theory. And theory, you could be right. I was actually there, so that means nothing. I am not the type to feed that little lady to the wolves. Theory you may be right. This is an instance where theory doesnt mean squat. I would HOPE on the field you would had more common sense than that.

Score keeping can be a tough gig.. but just like that money game, when EVERYONE knew the score was 1-0 .. but she missed it. Luckily she got it fixed.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would I get involved in a scoring issue?

If the teams hold the books, I tell them to get together and figure it out. If I'm working a game with an official scorekeeper and the team has a problem, I direct them to the scorekeeper. If working a stadium which provides communications between the umpire and scorekeeper (other than screaming over a crowd), I will pass the concern along to the scorekeeper. If that doesn't help, the offended team needs to pay him/her a visit.

If asked an opinion or if I remember a certain player scoring, I'll answer the scorekeeper's questions. If the discussion requires the scorekeeper's entire attention (obviously, a serious problem), then I will stop the game.

However, I will not interject myself into the discussion other than provide information requested.