The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Bat in Zone is a strike...NOT

Ok rec league tourney game. Batter squares to bunt hold bat still while pitch goes in the dirt. PU calls a ball. Defensive coaches want a strike called cause she didn't move her bat. PU handles it well, but one of the rec league umpires keeps talking in the dugout about how we were wrong that was a strike she should be out (had 2 strikes on her at the time) yada yada. 3rd base coach comes up to talk to me in between innings (I am rabbit, yes 3 person in rec league....UIC wanted to be on the field since a couple of fans for this team liked to get rowdy) I tell him in college they are right bat in zone is a strike, but ASA and FED you have to make an attempt to contact the ball or it is nothing. So now I am looking in the book, admittedly quickly, and I can't seem to find where it tells me that. Can anyone help with a rule reference for ASA and Fed if available.

Thanks!
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok rec league tourney game. Batter squares to bunt hold bat still while pitch goes in the dirt. PU calls a ball. Defensive coaches want a strike called cause she didn't move her bat. PU handles it well, but one of the rec league umpires keeps talking in the dugout about how we were wrong that was a strike she should be out (had 2 strikes on her at the time) yada yada. 3rd base coach comes up to talk to me in between innings (I am rabbit, yes 3 person in rec league....UIC wanted to be on the field since a couple of fans for this team liked to get rowdy) I tell him in college they are right bat in zone is a strike, but ASA and FED you have to make an attempt to contact the ball or it is nothing. So now I am looking in the book, admittedly quickly, and I can't seem to find where it tells me that. Can anyone help with a rule reference for ASA and Fed if available.

Thanks!
ASA R/S 10.
"On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate and the pitched ball is out of the strike zone, a ball should be called unless the batter moves the bat toward the ball."

There really is no rule that says a batter may hold her bat in the zone, but the mere definition of a strike, or a bunt indicate the batter must attempt to hit the ball.

I don't think FED has a similar statement as ASA R/S 10, but the definition of a swing/strike attempt is the same.

It is correct that NCAA states the bat must be pulled back. A problem there is, did she pull back, or forward then back? You still have to determine if she actually attempted a swing.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
NFHS 2.8.2 Attempted Bunt.

Art. 2... Attempted Bunt. An attempted bunt (“offer”) is any movement of the bat toward the ball when the ball is over or near the plate area. The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempted bunt.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
...yes 3 person in rec league....Thanks!
Dave - you're kidding, right? We have to kick and scream to get 2 umps on the finals of some 18U tourney games. League games, forget it; all are 1 umpire.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Nope, I worked for free! It was fun, I am UIC of this league I stay involved cause it is the league that got me started umpiring, well and my daughter is still playing down there....works too much, and not serious enough to play high school ball she just enjoys going out throwing the ball around. Some times I wonder why I keep going back especially when old grandpa in the stands goes nuts on a perfectly enforced rule that he had never heard....or read anything about!

I do have to say Monday was interesting though....all weekend I umpired in an ASA 18U Gold tourney, Monday night 10U rec league!! Talking about shifting gears!!!!!
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do have to say Monday was interesting though....all weekend I umpired in an ASA 18U Gold tourney, Monday night 10U rec league!! Talking about shifting gears!!!!!
Got a gal who did a little more.

Wed night - Association meeting
Thur night - Pro game
Sat & Sun - 12U states (as visiting umpire in neighboring state)
Mon, Tue & Wed nights - 18U states
Thursday night - Pro vs China's National Team
Sat day - Co-Ed states (Rec level)
Sat night - Pro vs China's National Team

BTW, she is also an association assigner for a county program, church league, town league and two independent leagues which she accommodated during this period.

One of these days, we are going to get her something to keep her busy.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Got a gal who did a little more.

Wed night - Association meeting
Thur night - Pro game
Sat & Sun - 12U states (as visiting umpire in neighboring state)
Mon, Tue & Wed nights - 18U states
Thursday night - Pro vs China's National Team
Sat day - Co-Ed states (Rec level)
Sat night - Pro vs China's National Team

BTW, she is also an association assigner for a county program, church league, town league and two independent leagues which she accommodated during this period.

One of these days, we are going to get her something to keep her busy.
Damn.

Does she have a sister? Not that I am looking, but we could use another 50 umpires. If they come as one person, that much the better.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, I worked for free! It was fun, I am UIC of this league I stay involved cause it is the league that got me started umpiring, well and my daughter is still playing down there....works too much, and not serious enough to play high school ball she just enjoys going out throwing the ball around. Some times I wonder why I keep going back especially when old grandpa in the stands goes nuts on a perfectly enforced rule that he had never heard....or read anything about!

I still work my rec league too.. probably always will Hardly worth the gas to get there but I like. Its been over awhile now though.