Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Ejected announcer

Great story! Anyone see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279896,00.html

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I have no clue about the authority of MiLB umpires, but it sounds OOO to me. Even though this particular PA announcer seems to have a history of playing sound bites that get under the opponents' skin, anyone who doesn't laugh at the line by Bob Uecker is humor challenged.

Also, requiring a PA announcer to be U3 in a professional baseball game as "punishment" would seem to say that anyone can do this job.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I have no clue about the authority of MiLB umpires, but it sounds OOO to me. Even though this particular PA announcer seems to have a history of playing sound bites that get under the opponents' skin, anyone who doesn't laugh at the line by Bob Uecker is humor challenged.

Also, requiring a PA announcer to be U3 in a professional baseball game as "punishment" would seem to say that anyone can do this job.
Definitely, but I must say it's certainly creative and humbling punishment for the announcer!

I love that sound bite he used, btw. Growing up in Milwaukee, I used to love listening to Bob Uecker calling the Brewers games. I can still hear him say, "get up! Get up! Get outta here! GONE for Robin Yount! And a three-run homer puts the Brewers within 7 runs..."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Now I get it!

So being an ump is punishment for some past misdeed. Come all you miscreants out there...confess to your crimes!
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
So being an ump is punishment for some past misdeed. Come all you miscreants out there...confess to your crimes!
So this one time... at band camp... It was so cool!

Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
So...Sping of 1971, Dimmitt HS, Dimmitt, TX. Our HS principal had to go on a trip and left his VW station wagon in front of the school. Two buddies and I picked up the car and turned it over on its top on the front lawn. They were too stupid to realize what termpera paint is all about, so I got several shades of tempera paint and created The Purple People Eater.

The even better part: the other two had to wash off the paint.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Anyone can do this job..

The point will be, to do the job well and to be a knowledgeable umpire is where the real effort comes in.

Sitting in a box 200 yards away playing sound bites is not umpiring.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Anyone can do this job..

The point will be, to do the job well and to be a knowledgeable umpire is where the real effort comes in.

Sitting in a box 200 yards away playing sound bites is not umpiring.
Why not? The players call the game from the outfield anyway.

Fortunately, the article said that the other umpires had the authority to overrule his calls in case he really blew it. Fortunately, the only play that inning was a pick-off attempt at 1B.

Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I've said for years that the park that I regularly work league games at should host a "You B!t@h, You Click" tournament at the end of the season. I'd love to see some of the constant complainers get a chance.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25
I've said for years that the park that I regularly work league games at should host a "You B!t@h, You Click" tournament at the end of the season. I'd love to see some of the constant complainers get a chance.
Oh amen to THAT! I was actually thinking the same thing after my constant butt-reaming last night by fans who don't know a runner can advance after a caught foul ball. Literally. "I hate these local rules they got here. I wish they'd use a real rule book!" It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

The PA Announcer was also the sound guy? Most professional ball teams consider this a seperate job. My hat is off to somebody who can do the PA, get in sponsorship reads, read 50/50 numbers, remind people of the great deals in the pro shop, cue up music, find special clips for unique sititutions, play the music for each seperate batter while announcing the name of the batter, and watch the game all at the same time....I'm impressed. I would venture that there were at least two different people involved in the playing of the sound clip.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Isn't the use of video disallowed in MLB parks (i.e. diamond vision or Jumbo Tron)showing an umpire missing a call?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"