The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 09:41pm
Broadcaster

Minor league baseball PA announcer ejected in Reno

Punishment is to work the first inning a game.

RENO, Nev. (AP) - The Golden Baseball League has settled on punishment for a public address announcer in Reno who was ejected from a minor league game for inciting criticism of an umpire -- spending an inning in the ump's shoes.

Mike Murray, whose on-air name is Mike Anthony, is the announcer for the independent league's Reno Silver Sox. He was ejected last night (Thursday) after the seventh inning of Reno's 6 to 5 loss to the Chico Outlaws at Peccole Park.

Home plate umpire Tyler Ramsey tossed him and ordered the PA system shut down after Murray played a sound bite of a Bob Uecker line from the 1989 movie "Major League" following a close call against the home team at first place.

Uecker's line was, "Personally, I think we got hosed on that call."

After reviewing the ejection report, GBL Commissioner Kevin Outcalt determined the appropriate disciplinary action would be for Murray to work the first inning of tonight's game between the two teams as the third base umpire.

Outcalt told The Associated Press today they've never had an announcer ejected before and they think the punishment fits the crime.

Murray admits he's a little nervous about tonight's assignment. He says, quoting now, "I never even called a T-ball game before."

Murray says he didn't mean any disrespect. In his words, "I didn't think I crossed any boundaries, but apparently I did. Honestly, I was just kind of floored by the whole thing. I had no idea I could be ejected."

Game time is set for seven pm.

Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Rabbit ears???

You can expect some of this during a close game, especially in a professional game.

Personally I think it makes the umpires look like a joke.

To pull some guy who readily admits that he has never umpired any game and put him on third base gives people the impression that anyone can do the job. How would you like him making the judgement calls against your team when he doesn't even know what judgement calls are his???
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 07:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Rabbit ears???

You can expect some of this during a close game, especially in a professional game.

Personally I think it makes the umpires look like a joke.

To pull some guy who readily admits that he has never umpired any game and put him on third base gives people the impression that anyone can do the job. How would you like him making the judgement calls against your team when he doesn't even know what judgement calls are his???
"Rabbit ears" is a phrase a rat uses when he wants to be able to run his mouth at the umpires without any repercussions. And anyone that even utters that phrase may as well head to the clubhouse -- it's almost automatic that saying I have rabbit ears will result in an ejection.