The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I do not know who the color man was on ESPN2's coverage of the ASU/Northwestern game, but he came up with a gem. They were showing a replay of an illegal block in the back call, and he said, "sometimes blockers get their heads in the wrong place." (Yeah, so do color guys...like up their rear ends.)

On a game last week a pass hit a defender right in the hands before he dropped it, and the play-by-play guy said, "he intercepts it and drops it." Really? That would be a fumble by the defensive player.

Oh well, announcers saying not-so-intelligent things...not exactly headline news.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Not sure which college game but there was a punt that bounces at the 1 and is clearly over the goalline when Team A bats the ball back and downs it around the 1. B was awarded a touchback and they continued to say the officials blew that one. "Clearly the ball did not touch in the end zone and the players feet weren't never in the end zone so this ball should be spotted at the 1" Give these guys a rule book and they'd be amazed about how much they would learn in just 5 mins.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking

The TV system is simple...being a player or a coach = knowledge. And don't think that it is just the officials these guys have no clue about. My favorite is Mike Godfied on ESPN night games. He is always busting on the coaches and telling what he would have done. He never had a winning season and was fired prior to working for ESPN. Glad to know his experience is good for something.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Give these guys a rule book and they'd be amazed about how much they would learn in just 5 mins.

My guess is that they wouldn't learn a whole lot.

For starters, they'd have to open up the book and read it . . .
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Musberger Friday night after the inadvertant at the end of the half in the Miami-FSU game,

"I don't have a rulebook in front of me, but that should be a 5 yard penalty for calling an illegal timeout!"
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Not sure which college game but there was a punt that bounces at the 1 and is clearly over the goalline when Team A bats the ball back and downs it around the 1. B was awarded a touchback and they continued to say the officials blew that one. "Clearly the ball did not touch in the end zone and the players feet weren't never in the end zone so this ball should be spotted at the 1" Give these guys a rule book and they'd be amazed about how much they would learn in just 5 mins.
Hell Jason, it would take them more than 5 minutes to figure out what it was!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

The best is when a player in the NFL falls down and fumbles and Madden goes on and on about how the ground can't cause a fumble. I think Summerall needs to hang up the mic too.