The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Unless there's a missing piece here that I'm missing, this sounds like INT to me.
No missing piece, they were disagreeing in principle with the application of the rule (deflected ball) in this instance... not the judgment.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
No missing piece, they were disagreeing in principle with the application of the rule (deflected ball) in this instance... not the judgment.
The difficulty in ruling INT is 8-7-J(4); it says the runner is out if intentionally interfering with a fielder fielding a deflected ball. I don't see where ASA differentiates between deflected and muffed, or that there is a continuing initial play, like NFHS. In absence of any of that, it seems to me that any ball touched but not controlled is deflected, even if it is the same fielder attempting to field the deflected ball that initially deflected it.

Putting myself in UIC shoes, and this call is protested, the question I have to ask Wade is if he judged the contact to be intentional (without mindreading required, did the runner actively seek the contact, or fail to yield when she reasonably could). If that criteria is met, I have interference under 8-7-J(4). If he has to honestly say that the runner could not have avoided, and did nothing to appear to indicate she was looking to contact, then we look if the fielder is protected. If the fielder still had a play to retire any runner, then the fielder is protected from obstruction, and we have a "no call". If the runners were all already safe in Wade's judgment, we have obstruction.

He was there, I wasn't. If I had that play, that is the same questions I would ask myself (or my partner, if we were getting together on the play).
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
What about this one: (ASA of course)

R1@1B - sharp one hopper knocked down by F4 - F4 reaching her glove for the ball (glove on it), has play at 2B if she gets it, R1 runs through reaching arm of F4, safe at 2B - no play able to be made. Runner crashed through arm and the ball was kicked/knocked (nothing intentional) into CF.

This happened this w/e - I called DB INT R1 out.

We lost a coach for that call too.

After the game, PU said he supported me because we were partners but it was a blown call.

Call discussed in depth with several umps post game, not a single umpire agreed with rule application.. so my feeling was I got it wrong..

The feeling was no INT - fielder had her protection up to the point she didnt make the initial play.
Read my "signature" to the rest of them.