The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

While during a game the other night, with 1 out, runner on 1st, batter 2 hit a grounder to the short stop. Short stop with the ball in his glove tags second base, I called an out at second base due to force. The short stop immediatley went airborn, but the runner coming from first, did not get down to attempt a slide, nor, did he get out of the way. Therefore, the short stop did not throw to first base not wanting to hit the runner going to second. I also called the runner going to first base out. The coach filed a protest, stating the short stop have to throw the ball, which the short did not do to prevent hitting the runner going to second. HELP !

[Edited by Larry on Jun 5th, 2002 at 03:10 PM]
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Larry,
Obviously you expected the runner to disappear, but why? If that runner does not stray from a straight line to the bag and does not intentionally interfere, that's a no call.
That holds true for ASA and Fed - and probably every other organization.

Steve M
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Larry,
Obviously you expected the runner to disappear, but why? If that runner does not stray from a straight line to the bag and does not intentionally interfere, that's a no call.
That holds true for ASA and Fed - and probably every other organization.

Steve M
Steve thanks for responsing, but my question was, ' Does the short stop have to throw the ball.'
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Larry,
I think you missed my point. The retired runner must intentionally interfere with the defensive player's chance to make a play on another runner. That means:
1-The retired runner must do something overt/obviously intentional to interfere (just being there is not interference).
2-While there does not need to be a throw in every instance, there does need to be a throw in more than 99%.
3-ASA defines making a play as having a very high likelyhood of getting an out.

Addition -
Larry, most of us have been where you are with this or something very similar. Hang in there, learn from this, & don't make the same mistake twice.

Steve M

[Edited by Steve M on Jun 5th, 2002 at 08:37 PM]
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Steve thanks for responsing, this is just my four year doing ASA fast pitch. I will never know it all, but I to don't want to make the same mistake. That's not learning !
Later.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M

2-While there does not need to be a throw in every instance, there does need to be a throw in more than 99%.

Steve M

[Edited by Steve M on Jun 5th, 2002 at 08:37 PM] [/B]
Larry,
An example of the 1% Steve is talking about.
R1, ground ball to F4. F4-F6 for the force at second. F6 moves inside basepath to make relay to 1st. R1 (now retired) alters her path and runs toward F6 causing her to abandon her attempt to throw or to reestablish her throwing position.

You now have inteference without a throw. If R1 had not altered her path, you would have had nothing.

Roger Greene