Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

F6 was doing the hold tag until runner gets up thing

This is broken off from the thread: "When to call time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
3rd base was not thinking about throwing on R2 and didn't, was doing the hold tag until runner gets up thing.....
For the first time ever I had this same problem last weekend in a 12U tournament game where every time a runner would steal 2B, F6 would keep her glove on the runner until I would grant "time" (when requested by the runner). I got annoyed by this pretty quickly and got to the point where I would call "time" as soon as all play ended (even if runner did not request it). How do you guys handle this? Do you keep calling time and just let F6 continue to do the same thing or do you say something to the DC or player about it and put a stop to it?

Last edited by dtwsd; Tue May 22, 2007 at 06:20pm.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

i would not say anything to the DC - there is no violation
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is good ball. I got me an easy out on a simular play earlier this year. R1 steals 2nd, F6 holds the ball on her, R1 stands up. "Out!"
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
I think it is good ball. I got me an easy out on a simular play earlier this year. R1 steals 2nd, F6 holds the ball on her, R1 stands up. "Out!"
Yet, many would consider this bush league type of play.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Was it bush league when Derek Jeter did it against the Red Sox a few year's back and got an out at 2B? I don't think so.

If the runner wants time, they should ask for it. And I grant it to them if the play is over.

For a runner to believe that they are not obligated to maintain contact with a base until time has been called is almost the same line of thinking as the infielders who ask for time to be called as soon as they have the ball on the perimeter of the infield. Runners may not be done running, and the infielders get all upset when blues don't give them time right then.

All the runner has to do is demonstrate that they are physically able to maintain contact with the base, then ask for time. What is the problem?

I tell you what - If infielders agree to not try to get outs when runners fail to maintain contact with bases in this manner that's perceived as being 'bush league', then runners could then agree that they'll promise to not try to advance to the next base when a fielder throws the ball away while trying to get it back to the pitcher, 'cause that would have to be considered by many to be 'bush league', too.

Or better yet, maybe someone should write the 'Bush League Rulebook' and then someone else could set up the Bush League Official Fourm.

Last edited by Bluefoot; Tue May 22, 2007 at 07:02pm.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I consider it very bush league. I guess thats why it bothered me so much when it kept happening.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Bush

It's bush. And the reason why I will throw in an instant time if there is no other potential action on those types of situations. You don't have to wait for the runner to call time, you can do it yourself. That way, you prevent that type of crap from happening.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

There was a pet peeve thread on one of these forums recently. Probably baseball. This was my pet peeve. (Along with base coaches who feel compeled to call their runner safe at every opportunity.)

It drives me crazy when a runner has successfully slid into a base and the fielder holds the tag forever. Maybe it's good baseball/softball to hold it for a few extra seconds if the runner is a little out of control and in danger of over-running the base. But I think it's a big waste of time when the poor runner is on the ground and trying to stand up.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Was it bush league when Derek Jeter did it against the Red Sox a few year's back and got an out at 2B? ...
So, you're holding up Jeter and the Yankee$ as paragons of good sportsmanship? But, to answer your question, yes, it was.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
So, you're holding up Jeter and the Yankee$ as paragons of good sportsmanship? But, to answer your question, yes, it was.
Not necessarily. If a player has a tendency to leave the base, I can see watching and trying to get them out. I think what most are referring to is this being done all the time with every player.

As a player who ocassionally encountered an umpire which wouldn't kill the ball, I would just lay on the ground and make no effort to get up if there was a defender anywhere near me. I would just smile at the umpire and eventually he would call time.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Yankee$

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwsd
I consider it very bush league. I guess thats why it bothered me so much when it kept happening.
Bush League -- who cares? Do we call what we see or do we enforce some unwritten 'ethical' standard which may be different from league to league.

When the fielder holds the ball on a runner, if all other play is over I will call time.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I got tired of the standoff on this play.

It's like the old movies where two guys are holding guns and each others faces...nobody wants to shoot and nobody will "win".

As soon as I see that the runner has safely attained the base without a possibility that she will overun it or fall off...I'm calling time....let's play ball!
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

MMMMMMMMM
Runner trying to get up with a fielder holding a tag on them .Try to get up withsomeone holding you down
Isnt the fielder impeding the runner .
Therefore its obstruction .
We get this type of thing all the time (with different rules plays etc ) when a team starts getting Umpires at usually u15 level .
Coaches , who dont know the rules and are in a mind set of softball 10 to 20 years ago and have never played the game to a higher degree have taught all these things to kids including the above trick .
As soon as the get Umps , the big question .
"When did that rule change "
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Personally, I got tired of the standoff on this play.

It's like the old movies where two guys are holding guns and each others faces...nobody wants to shoot and nobody will "win".

As soon as I see that the runner has safely attained the base without a possibility that she will overun it or fall off...I'm calling time....let's play ball!
Calling "time"? I hope this isn't a FP game as that is a live ball game and you don't call time unless you have to call time.