The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Major League obstruction???????????

Did anyone see the MLB game last night? Don't remember who was playing. Runner between first and second gets caught in a run-down. He saw he was going to be out and literally went WAY!!!! out of his way to find a fielder without the ball and then he ran into him. The runner was actually heading in the direction of the mound when he made contact with the fielder.The umpire gave him second. It was a gross misuse of the rule. Dave
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Did anyone see the MLB game last night? Don't remember who was playing. Runner between first and second gets caught in a run-down. He saw he was going to be out and literally went WAY!!!! out of his way to find a fielder without the ball and then he ran into him. The runner was actually heading in the direction of the mound when he made contact with the fielder.The umpire gave him second. It was a gross misuse of the rule. Dave
Phillies/Giants were the teams playing. What shocked me even more than that being called OBS, was that they called OBS at all. I do believe this was the first time I have ever witness OBS called in a MLB game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

In the NYY/Sea game yesterday, the F2 for Seattle was clearly blocking the plate without the ball, as a NYY runner was trying to score. Clear-cut OBS, not called. I've never seen it called in MLB.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it, but as you've described it, I can't imagine that getting an OBS call at any level, let alone MLB.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
In the NYY/Sea game yesterday, the F2 for Seattle was clearly blocking the plate without the ball, as a NYY runner was trying to score. Clear-cut OBS, not called. I've never seen it called in MLB.
"Clearly blocking the plate without the ball" is not OBS in OBR - the ball was on the way and there was an imminent play - no OBS (Yes ... obvious OBS in ASA ... followed by obvious Interference by the runner, and an out and an ejection nullifying the OBS).

Last edited by mcrowder; Mon May 07, 2007 at 10:35am.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Dakota, the funny thing was, the BU never signalled OBS. After the runner was tagged out, the BU just pointed toward second base and the runner gladly obliged him by taking his place there. If OBS was the call, I wonder if the BU ever gave thought to putting him back on first? There was some conversation between the runner and the shortstop and rightfully so. The runner knew he got away with one. Dave
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Dakota, the funny thing was, the BU never signalled OBS. After the runner was tagged out, the BU just pointed toward second base and the runner gladly obliged him by taking his place there. If OBS was the call, I wonder if the BU ever gave thought to putting him back on first? There was some conversation between the runner and the shortstop and rightfully so. The runner knew he got away with one. Dave
Let's not take softball mentality over to baseball - I hate it when baseball umpires do that to us.

In baseball, there was no option to send the runner back to 1st. If there was OBS (which I don't think there should have been), he's awarded 2nd.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

yeah I happened to flip over and saw that ..... strange play, dont recall seeing a runner doing that before
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

mcrowder, I completely understand what you are saying. It was just a weird play and I know nothing about baseball rules. Dave
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here is link to rundown will be up for a day or so

Victorino rundown

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=phi