The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Major League obstruction??????????? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/34323-major-league-obstruction.html)

shipwreck Mon May 07, 2007 06:15am

Major League obstruction???????????

Did anyone see the MLB game last night? Don't remember who was playing. Runner between first and second gets caught in a run-down. He saw he was going to be out and literally went WAY!!!! out of his way to find a fielder without the ball and then he ran into him. The runner was actually heading in the direction of the mound when he made contact with the fielder.The umpire gave him second. It was a gross misuse of the rule. Dave

Skahtboi Mon May 07, 2007 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck
Did anyone see the MLB game last night? Don't remember who was playing. Runner between first and second gets caught in a run-down. He saw he was going to be out and literally went WAY!!!! out of his way to find a fielder without the ball and then he ran into him. The runner was actually heading in the direction of the mound when he made contact with the fielder.The umpire gave him second. It was a gross misuse of the rule. Dave

Phillies/Giants were the teams playing. What shocked me even more than that being called OBS, was that they called OBS at all. I do believe this was the first time I have ever witness OBS called in a MLB game.

Bluefoot Mon May 07, 2007 08:36am

In the NYY/Sea game yesterday, the F2 for Seattle was clearly blocking the plate without the ball, as a NYY runner was trying to score. Clear-cut OBS, not called. I've never seen it called in MLB.

Dakota Mon May 07, 2007 08:40am

I didn't see it, but as you've described it, I can't imagine that getting an OBS call at any level, let alone MLB.

mcrowder Mon May 07, 2007 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluefoot
In the NYY/Sea game yesterday, the F2 for Seattle was clearly blocking the plate without the ball, as a NYY runner was trying to score. Clear-cut OBS, not called. I've never seen it called in MLB.

"Clearly blocking the plate without the ball" is not OBS in OBR - the ball was on the way and there was an imminent play - no OBS (Yes ... obvious OBS in ASA ... followed by obvious Interference by the runner, and an out and an ejection nullifying the OBS).

shipwreck Mon May 07, 2007 10:39am

Dakota, the funny thing was, the BU never signalled OBS. After the runner was tagged out, the BU just pointed toward second base and the runner gladly obliged him by taking his place there. If OBS was the call, I wonder if the BU ever gave thought to putting him back on first? There was some conversation between the runner and the shortstop and rightfully so. The runner knew he got away with one. Dave

mcrowder Mon May 07, 2007 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck
Dakota, the funny thing was, the BU never signalled OBS. After the runner was tagged out, the BU just pointed toward second base and the runner gladly obliged him by taking his place there. If OBS was the call, I wonder if the BU ever gave thought to putting him back on first? There was some conversation between the runner and the shortstop and rightfully so. The runner knew he got away with one. Dave

Let's not take softball mentality over to baseball - I hate it when baseball umpires do that to us.

In baseball, there was no option to send the runner back to 1st. If there was OBS (which I don't think there should have been), he's awarded 2nd.

3afan Mon May 07, 2007 10:56am

yeah I happened to flip over and saw that ..... strange play, dont recall seeing a runner doing that before

shipwreck Mon May 07, 2007 11:29am

mcrowder, I completely understand what you are saying. It was just a weird play and I know nothing about baseball rules. Dave

reccer Mon May 07, 2007 01:31pm

Here is link to rundown will be up for a day or so

Victorino rundown

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=phi