The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Batter kicks dropped pitch

ASA rules. Runner on 3B. Pitch bounces off catchers glove and rolls a few feet up the 3B line, runner is coming home.

The batter is backing out of the box and is totally out of the box (not sure if this matters) when she kicks the ball towards the dugout allowing the runner to take home unchallenged.

I'm coaching and argue (politely that it should be interference, PU says it has to be intentional. I inquire, what's different between this and a batter stepping out of the box and interfering with the catchers throw? PU says "that's totally different"

My rule book is a little dated but says "defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field without being hindered"
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Batter's out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
ASA rules. Runner on 3B. Pitch bounces off catchers glove and rolls a few feet up the 3B line, runner is coming home.

The batter is backing out of the box and is totally out of the box (not sure if this matters) when she kicks the ball towards the dugout allowing the runner to take home unchallenged.

I'm coaching and argue (politely that it should be interference, PU says it has to be intentional. I inquire, what's different between this and a batter stepping out of the box and interfering with the catchers throw? PU says "that's totally different"

My rule book is a little dated but says "defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field without being hindered"
As I understand the play, this is interference per rule 7-6-S. She interferred with a play at home plate. It does not have to be intentional. Some of the interference rules changed this year to remove intent, however, this was not one of them, if I remember correctly. Interferring with a play at home didn't require intent last year either.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
My rule book is a little dated but says
1. Dead ball.
2. Batter out for interference.
3. R1 back to 3B
4. Coach fined $10 for using old rule book which covers the cost of getting him a new rule book.

What I think is hystericly funny is that coaches think nothing of using (and in this case quoting from) an old rule book. Couldn't you just hear the screams from the bench if a PU said while talking to a coach, "Well, coach, it says here in my 2001 rules book, that's perfectly legal."