The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I just wanted some of your opinions on this.

Why not have a rule that states that if a batter charges the mound, any player leaving the dugout will be automatically be suspended for five games? Don't you think this would make a player think twice about going after the pitcher when at the very best he would be outnumbered nine to six (assuming that the bases are loaded and the two base coaches get involved)?

I know that some will say that this gives the pitcher a free shot at throwing at batters. This is not entirely true, because the umpire can still use his judgement and eject the pitcher.

Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by harmbu

I just wanted some of your opinions on this.

Why not have a rule that states that if a batter charges the mound, any player leaving the dugout will be automatically be suspended for five games? Don't you think this would make a player think twice about going after the pitcher when at the very best he would be outnumbered nine to six (assuming that the bases are loaded and the two base coaches get involved)?

I know that some will say that this gives the pitcher a free shot at throwing at batters. This is not entirely true, because the umpire can still use his judgement and eject the pitcher.

I agree, this would be something similar to the NBA rule. If memory serves the Knicks lost the series to the Miami Heat because Patrick Ewing among others were suspended from the next game.

MLB suspensions are a joke. Remember when Alomar spat on an umpire. His suspension didn't begin until the following season. In the NBA the suspension is the next game even if it's a playoff game.

Today when F1 comes anywhere near inside B1 wants to charge the mound. As I stated in an earleir thread MLB is becoming (if not already) rediculous. Start suspending these guys and one would see their tune change. Also, staring at your HR and showing up F1 doesn't help one's cause. If that was Gibson on the mound B1 wouldn't have been able to charge the mound.

Pete Booth

Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

More

I remember that NBA situation. The only thing wrong with that was that they staggered the suspensions so that the teams would not be short on players for the rest of the series. I think if my rule were adopted in MLB and the dugouts emptied, the teams should be forced to either play the games with the players available or forfeit. We know that will never happen, because that would lose them money.

[Edited by harmbu on Oct 10th, 2002 at 12:12 PM]
Old Thu Oct 10, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Harmbu,

Wonderful idea. Sadly, the player's union is too powerful for such a rule to ever be adopted.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

PBUC has a rule like that concerning charging the mound, but that of course does not cover the majors. Didn't realize that PBUC also prohibits tobacco use inside the park. I guess minor league players have to wait till they make the majors to leave the dugout and smoke in the runway.

[Edited by greymule on Oct 13th, 2002 at 05:01 PM]