The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Interference?

This is one I had never seen before.
We had a play with a runner on first where the batter-runner laid down a bunt. As the ball rolled down the first base line in fair ground the first baseman stood in foul ground waiting to pick it up. Before she could pick it up to make a play at first she was run down by the batter-runner. I called the batter-runner out for interference and put the runner at first back on first. Is this correct call?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

speaking ISF/ESF...

Yep correct!
Unless there was obviously OBS to prevent to make an double. Then the runner clossed at home (in this case the runer on 1st) has ALSO to be called out...

I've also never seen this play before. Must be an mad-house on the field. People screaming, coaches who know nothing but complaining anyway, etc, etc. And in the end you're the bad guy! In my book you've done it right.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

INT, not OBS, Dutch.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

You are correct it was a mad house. My partner on the plate thought it was obstruction so no call was made there. The girl picked up the ball throwing wildly to first and over throwing. A throw was made back to home to throw out the runner from first. They then throw back to second to try to get the batter-runner on second. I don't make a call because I've been trying to stop play. Because of all the screaming and action no one notices one umpire with his hands up trying to stop the play. Once play stopped I explained the correct ruling. I had the offensive coach come unglued because how can it be interference hitting a player in foul ground. I explained she has the right to make to make a play no matter where she stands. He never did get that. My partner thought it was obstruction, but once I explained that even though she didn't have the ball it was right at her feet as she waited to see if it was fair or foul so she is making a play on the ball. I hope I never see this again. Thanks for the help!
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonsdf
You are correct it was a mad house. ... snip ... I don't make a call because I've been trying to stop play. Because of all the screaming and action no one notices one umpire with his hands up trying to stop the play. ...snip...
I had a very similar play last summer. This is when it pays to be a tall guy with a big voice. (My Dead Ball! call has been known to stop play on adjacent fields. ) So when I killed it, play stopped. It still took a minute to get the Offensive coach to understand, but at least he didn't have runners all over the base paths. If you don't have a big voice, make your signals "big and exaggerated."
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

If the BR had changed her path to veer around F3 would that have been OBS?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
If the BR had changed her path to veer around F3 would that have been OBS?
Not if the fielder was playing a batted ball and was, in the umpire's judgment, the defender most likely to field the ball.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had a play with a runner on first where the batter-runner laid down a bunt. As the ball rolled down the first base line in fair ground the first baseman stood in foul ground waiting to pick it up. Before she could pick it up to make a play at first she was run down by the batter-runner. I called the batter-runner out for interference and put the runner at first back on first. Is this correct call?
Was F3 left handed?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not if the fielder was playing a batted ball and was, in the umpire's judgment, the defender most likely to field the ball.
Thank you, Mike. Is "[standing] in foul ground waiting to pick it up" considered "in the act of fielding a batted ball?" IOW, it does not matter if she is "actively" fielding or just standing there waiting to see whether it rolls foul, it is definitionally "in the act of fielding a batted ball" and therefore affords her the protection of the exception to the OBS definition?

In the OP it sounds as if the BR could have avoided contact easily since F3 was in foul territory; would the ruling be the same if the F3 were standing across most or all of the running lane (and just looking at the ball to see whether it was going to roll foul or not)? I am guessing if the answer to my question above is yes, then it would not matter where the defender is standing, she is still protected/exempted from committing OBS by definition? And in this case, the BR would be able to run more than 3' from the base path to avoid contact with F3 because it would not be done to avoid a tag?

If I am lucky, I will just begin to master all the rules by the time my DD stops playing, but I appreciate all the knowledge I get here.
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Is "[standing] in foul ground waiting to pick it up" considered "in the act of fielding a batted ball?"
Yes.
Quote:
...would the ruling be the same if the F3 were standing across most or all of the running lane (and just looking at the ball to see whether it was going to roll foul or not)?
Yes.
Quote:
...I am guessing if the answer to my question above is yes, then it would not matter where the defender is standing, she is still protected/exempted from committing OBS by definition?
Not by definition, but by being in the act of fielding the batted ball and being judged by the umpire to be the fielder most likely to make the play on the batted ball.
Quote:
...And in this case, the BR would be able to run more than 3' from the base path to avoid contact with F3 because it would not be done to avoid a tag?
That is correct. She is also allowed to run outside the running lane to avoid a fielder fielding a batted ball.

It is normal fielding for the fielder to wait on a slow roller near the foul line to see if it will go foul.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

oooooooeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
INT, not OBS, Dutch.
The Queens English is still difficult to read and write. You're absolutely right, thanks for correcting me.
b.t.w. can't we write all in dutch, makes my job a lot easier

Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
The Queens English is still difficult to read and write.
The who's what??? Over here we speak American English, and trust me, it is a far cry from the Queen's version.

Quote:
b.t.w. can't we write all in dutch, makes my job a lot easier
You have time to teach it to all of us????

Of zou ik, u heb tijd om het aan wij allemaal te onderwijzen moeten zeggen?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The who's what??? Over here we speak American English, and trust me, it is a far cry from the Queen's version.
I know it's only in basic the same. However in Europe people are talking about the Queens English. Not that they will or can talk like the old lady...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You have time to teach it to all of us????

Of zou ik, u heb tijd om het aan wij allemaal te onderwijzen moeten zeggen?
The propper way to translate would be:
"Of zou ik moeten zeggen: Heeft u de tijd om het ons allemaal te onderwijzen"
But I take my cap off for you, such a quick reply AND in dutch!

Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 06:40pm
Administrator

Quote:

neonsdf:

Could you give more information as to where F1 was in relation to the ball (How far away from the ball was F1?) and was F1 making attempt to pick up the ball?

I have a gut feeling that this is a play where one had to see it to call it.

I can see this as interference by the B/R if the ball was in the immediate vicinity of F1 but if F1 was standing a distance from the ball and was waiting to see if the ball was going to roll foul, then I can see this as obstruction by F1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know it's only in basic the same. However in Europe people are talking about the Queens English. Not that they will or can talk like the old lady...

The propper way to translate would be:
"Of zou ik moeten zeggen: Heeft u de tijd om het ons allemaal te onderwijzen"
But I take my cap off for you, such a quick reply AND in dutch!
Dank u.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.