The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher's obs/improper award

NFHS Game. Home team at bat with 4-0 lead. R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, two outs. B3 hits ground ball to F6, who throws to F3 for the out on BR3, R1 had run home, and R2 had run to 3B. PU rules catcher's obstruction, and awards BR3 1B, allows R1 run to count and R2's advance to 3B, resets half inning to two outs and B4 is due up.

Defensive coach comes out and questions PU's application of catcher's obstruction ruling. Def. Coach states that offensive coach can either take result of play (3rd out), or simply put BR3 on 1B, no runs score, R1 back to 3B, R2 back to 2B, two out, B4 up. PU states no, he's got it right as ruled, fifth run scores. Defensive coach wants to avoid a confrontation, so he chooses not to protest, especially since PU convinces him that he's got it right. Defense then retires B4 for the third out. Home team up 5-0.

Next inning, same Def. Coach finds rule in NFHS book that R1 and R2 should only advance on the catcher's obstruction ruling if forced, which they were not. PU states that it's too late to do anything about it, since play continued after the incorrect ruling. He offers his sincerest appology if it turns out to affect the final result of the game.

Visitors end up coming back to take the lead 7-5 in the last inning, and hold on for a 7-6 win.

Coach said afterward that, obviously, he should have protested, and will do so going foreward. He was surprised that two veteran umps could both misapply the ruling. If he had protested properly and lost the game, and the appeal was upheld, would the game be replayed from that point?
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the state allows protests in high school games, then, yes, had the protest been upheld, the game would be replayed from the point of the protest. Which is why few states allow protests (they don't want to deal with the schedule hassle).
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a veteran ump (20 years, according to him) and a rookie ump completely hose ASA's SP rule 8-7-R (leaving base too soon on a pitch). Appeal play, my @$$!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.