The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am up for a NHFS varsity match. Not sure how my partner missed this but the game started with a player not on the lineup card (coach wrote down the wrong number). My partner doesn't catch this error until team A rotates 5 times. What penalty is enforced here?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigToe
I am up for a NHFS varsity match. Not sure how my partner missed this but the game started with a player not on the lineup card (coach wrote down the wrong number). My partner doesn't catch this error until team A rotates 5 times. What penalty is enforced here?
I'd be inclined to just call it a line-up violation under 7-2-2 and access a point/loss of serve penalty. That would have been the penalty had your partner caught it when s/he should have during the pre-game lineup check.

Award the penalty point, correct the lineup card, and let's play volleyball.

Note there is no authority to go back and cancel any previous points or access a penalty for violations during the 5 previous rotations - including any rotations in which the improperly listed player may have served. Once there is a sideout and the opposing team has served, any points scored by an improper server stand.

-Homer-
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Homer - you penalize it when it's discovered.

Now let me pose a related question:

When working as the umpire, which do you prefer to use to check the initial lineups before each game - your lineup card, or the lineup sheets submitted by the coaches? Why?

Just curious......I have my own preference, but am interested in how other officials here see it.

Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I check with my line up card and if there is a discrepency, I verify with the coach's line up.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Homer....I believe there would be cause to cancel points IF the unlisted player was serving at the time of discovery and had scored any points to cancel. Although probably not the case, but thought it was worth mentioning. Dan
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I use my lineup card. If there is a discrepency, I go to the coachs' sheets.

Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:41pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Homer and Tim, per Rule 10.3.7.a the player is an illegal substitute since she entered the game without following the proper substitution procedure. The correct penalty would be to assess an unnecessary delay timeout (Rule 10.3 Penalty), and remove the incorrect player from the court and replace her with the player that is on the lineup sheet or have her substitute in for the player that was supposed to be on the court in the first place. Points will only be removed if the opponent has not contacted the serve yet during the current term of service. Then, only the points scored by the last server on the offending team will be removed (Rule 10.3 Penalty 3).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)