The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I need help on the following situations that we had occur this week in JV games.

K5 the snapper comes to line with gloves attached to lower bar on face mask and proceeds to snap ball.

K5 the snapper comes to line with gloves attached to lower bar on face mask K2 muffs snap and K5 is pulled to ground by attached glove as he trys to block

K5 comes to line removes gloves throws them across neutral soon in front of ball, places hands on ball and proceeds to snap for PAT.

In all 3 situations gloves comply with rules the questions is on how they were worn or not worn.////

tried to post the above message to officials forum I got an error saying Permission problem writing new file in ban list dir permission denied. Please advise how to correct
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1

ART. 3 . . . Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate.

I would say that having the gloves tied to the face mask is extremely dangerous as exhibited by your second example.

ART. 2
c. Gloves, even though modified, must have a securely attached label or stamp (NF/NCAA specifications) indicating compliance with test specifications on file with the Sporting Goods Manufacturer's Association as of January 1, 1994, unless made of unaltered plain cloth.

NOTE: A glove is a covering for the hand having separate sections for each finger and thumb and completely covering each finger and thumb.

So if they ain't wearing it properly, they ain't wearing it leagally, so they ain't wearing it period!

As for your tossing them across the line have him pick them up and wear them or stuff them down his pants and warn him next time you will consider that to be drawing undue attention to himself and you will hit him with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I have no clue as to why you couldn't post the first time..

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Basketball
I need help on the following situations that we had occur this week in JV games.

K5 the snapper comes to line with gloves attached to lower bar on face mask and proceeds to snap ball.

K5 the snapper comes to line with gloves attached to lower bar on face mask K2 muffs snap and K5 is pulled to ground by attached glove as he trys to block

K5 comes to line removes gloves throws them across neutral soon in front of ball, places hands on ball and proceeds to snap for PAT.

In all 3 situations gloves comply with rules the questions is on how they were worn or not worn.////

tried to post the above message to officials forum I got an error saying Permission problem writing new file in ban list dir permission denied. Please advise how to correct

Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're referring to the NFHS Bulletin Board. It's been down for weeks and we're all getting that message. If you'll notice, there hasn't been a new message on there since Aug. 26. It's a shame too, because we were really getting the board going.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My question is why would K5 be allowed to wear gloves in this manner. Assuming the gloves were legal in all other aspects, the intent of gloves is to cover the hands.

I hope my umpire sees these gloves before the snapper gets into position or even if he gets into position and the umpire spots them he stops the clock for an equipment time out and has the player remove them from his mask and from the field.