The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

I did, however, show great restraint Tuesday night when a player brought a tape measure out to home plate to measure the batter's boxes (of course they were baseball sized boxes). Didn't run him, which must mean I'm getting soft...or just too damn lazy to fill out the ejection report.
In a local league game, I'd probably embarrass the player first.

Ump: #6, where's your coach?
Player: Why?
Ump: Somebody needs to tell you what those numbers mean.
Player: That's not funny.
Ump: Neither is bringing that tape out here. Do you have a tool box?
Player: Uh, yeah.
Ump: Where is it?
Player: In my garage.
Ump: You can go put that tape away now. See you next week.

As noted, in a local game, where you know most of the players and can do this. Do not do this during championship play.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

a 20+ year HS/college veteran

If your partner does NCAA, this could explain his apparently erroneous LBR call in the HS game.

NCAA (12-21-b): When a runner is legally off her base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing her turn at bat, and she is in motion as the pitcher takes possession of the ball within the pitcher's circle, the runner may continue moving forward in the direction she is going without stopping, or she may immediately and directly go back in the other direction.

NCAA doesn't allow the blanket "one stop" that Fed and ASA do. In NCAA, if a runner remains in motion past what would be an "immediate" time, she has to continue without stopping. ("Immediate" is not really defined, but I give the benefit of the doubt to the runner—she would have to remain in motion for a significant time to be committed to continuing without stopping. If she was in motion and then reversed after 3 fast steps, I'd consider that "immediate.")

In the play in the OP, if the runner was in motion back to 3B when F1 got the ball in the circle, and the runner remained in motion—either for several steps or walking slowly for a significant time—and then stopped, the ump might have had NCAA on his mind and called her out.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

I did, however, show great restraint Tuesday night when a player brought a tape measure out to home plate to measure the batter's boxes (of course they were baseball sized boxes). Didn't run him, which must mean I'm getting soft...or just too damn lazy to fill out the ejection report.
Typically, I have baseball boxes removed if I have them on the field when I show up for a FP game. Ive had it happen a few times where the wrong box was put down. I'd rather have no lines than a baseball box.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Typically, I have baseball boxes removed if I have them on the field when I show up for a FP game. Ive had it happen a few times where the wrong box was put down. I'd rather have no lines than a baseball box.
Why is that? You can get some good out calls from the slappers and draggers.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
BTW, I'm guessing if you have never felt the need to run a softball player, ya probably haven't done enough slow pitch.
You couldn't pay me enough (OK maybe you could but they won't) to do slow pitch.

Quote:
I would've run the player and all of the assistant coaches for letting that happen. OK maybe just the player...

Thanks for the input, same to you mcrowder.