The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
If there was ever much ado about nothing this would be it.
pfff... 90% of this forum is making much ado about nothing. Thats what makes it fun.

Dont you worry though, its basically a fairly slow board, so even with all the ado flowing around, you will still have enough time to invent your own flourishes and hand slaps for use as signals in games.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
pfff... 90% of this forum is making much ado about nothing. Thats what makes it fun.

Dont you worry though, its basically a fairly slow board, so even with all the ado flowing around, you will still have enough time to invent your own flourishes and hand slaps for use as signals in games.

Wade, sometimes you can be a real smartass, but that one made me laugh.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem

Slow board?

If you cant fathom a force out then I would wonder about your definition of slow.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If there was ever much ado about nothing this would be it.
It's the ability to keep up with what you call ado and its proper application on the field that separates great umpires from thousands of others.

If you consider it to be much ado about nothing, well, let's see for which list you qualify.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Because it is treated like a force in all circumstances by ASA. I seem to recall that it is the ASA interpretation that the BR who overruns 1B can re-instate the force by overrunning back in the other direction toward home. IOW, the defense can retire the BR in that circumstance by merely tagging the base. I don't have time now to try to look this up... does anyone else remember this? We discussed it a year or two ago on this board.

That's right. ASA, unlike other codes, considers the BR to have "occupied" a previous base—home. The BR can in fact reinstate the force by retreating (though he wouldn't have to overrun 1B; he could simply stop on the base and then retreat). Therefore, in ASA the out on the BR at 1B is indistinguishable from a force play and should rightly be termed such.

Since the rule change, I have treated the entire white/orange slab of the safety base as usable by either fielder or runner once the BR touches (or crosses 1B).
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Slow board?

If you cant fathom a force out then I would wonder about your definition of slow.
I like you because you dont let the rule book get in the way of what you consider "umpiring". In fact, so far you have stood firm on two positions since joining our little piece of the internets, neither of which is supported by the rule book. The rule book can be such a drag!!!111

Thats gutsy.

You keep up the good work.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

"Therefore, in ASA the out on the BR at 1B is indistinguishable from a force play and should rightly be termed such."

Since the rule change, I have treated the entire white/orange slab of the safety base as usable by either fielder or runner once the BR touches (or crosses 1B)

Imagine that...applying the rule using common sense.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Imagine that...applying the rule using common sense.
You'd be well advised to make the distinction between "common sense" meaning "what I think it should be" and "common sense" meaning "consistent with the published rule book, clinic teaching, and official interpretations."

My statements on the force play at 1B fall into the latter category, as do the treatment of the entire double base as usable by both teams.

Umpires frequently use "common sense" as the justification for making up their own rules. Not saying you are doing that, just a caution to not take what you said too far.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You'd be well advised to make the distinction between "common sense" meaning "what I think it should be" and "common sense" meaning "consistent with the published rule book, clinic teaching, and official interpretations."

My statements on the force play at 1B fall into the latter category, as do the treatment of the entire double base as usable by both teams.

Umpires frequently use "common sense" as the justification for making up their own rules. Not saying you are doing that, just a caution to not take what you said too far.
That is why I referenced Greymule.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is why I referenced Greymule.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, based on your more recent postings, that you were attempting to move away from trolldom. I don't know whether you are trying to insult me or greymule, but either way, I see I was wrong about you.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

It's certainly true that "common sense" gets you only so far. We can all cite rules that are anything but common sense. To me, the one at the very top of the list is the play in ASA where the batting team benefits when the BR deliberately interferes with F3 on a pop fly.

Under no other code (that I know of) can that happen.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
It's certainly true that "common sense" gets you only so far. We can all cite rules that are anything but common sense. To me, the one at the very top of the list is the play in ASA where the batting team benefits when the BR deliberately interferes with F3 on a pop fly.

If you're calling an ASA game, and the BR does this, do you follow "common sense" or the ASA book?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, based on your more recent postings, that you were attempting to move away from trolldom. I don't know whether you are trying to insult me or greymule, but either way, I see I was wrong about you.
I quoted Greymule as a compliment to him.

I replied to your advice by referencing Greymule's post as demonstrating that the rule book and common sense are intertwined.

I don't how you could interpret the post as an insult, but since you did, I apologize.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I quoted Greymule as a compliment to him.

I replied to your advice by referencing Greymule's post as demonstrating that the rule book and common sense are intertwined.

I don't how you could interpret the post as an insult, but since you did, I apologize.
Apology accepted. Sorry to have misunderstood, but in my defense... well, nevermind.

The rule book and common sense are intertwined, but the rulings made cannot be contradictory to the rule book. Common sense should be an extension of the known, not a replacement of it.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

What play are you talking about?