The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This play happen tonight in a high school game and just wanted to make sure if I got it right or BLEW the call!! Also if the ruling is the same ASA as NFHS

B1 hits a grounder down the 1st base line to F3 in fair territory the ball reflects off of F3's glove into foul territory about 2' behind the bag. F3 picks the ball up and stands on the orange part of the double base bag while B1 continue to run and runs through the bag. I ruled the runner safe since it reflect off of F3 glove in fair territory I thought she had to come back to white to put out the runner. My partner agreed but I wanted to make sure so I am asking here

Thanks

Don
Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
This play happen tonight in a high school game and just wanted to make sure if I got it right or BLEW the call!! Also if the ruling is the same ASA as NFHS

B1 hits a grounder down the 1st base line to F3 in fair territory the ball reflects off of F3's glove into foul territory about 2' behind the bag. F3 picks the ball up and stands on the orange part of the double base bag while B1 continue to run and runs through the bag. I ruled the runner safe since it reflect off of F3 glove in fair territory I thought she had to come back to white to put out the runner. My partner agreed but I wanted to make sure so I am asking here

Thanks

Don
Don,

I don't know about Fed, but that would be the wrong call in ASA (8.2.M.3) Do not try to read into the "a play at 1B is not a force play" argument as the wording is used as that play opposed to a "time" play.

Thanks,

Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

If the play came from foul territory, which you say it did, then the fielder could touch the orange (at least in ASA; I don't know about Fed).

[Edited by greymule on Mar 25th, 2003 at 10:32 PM]
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Same as what Greymule says for FED. The double base is not intended to create new restrictions as to who touches what; it is intended to stop the collisions as the batter-runner runs through the base.

If the play is coming from the foul side then the defense can use the orange and the offense should use the white so as to avoid a collision. Casebook play 8.2.12 helps a little to clarify this.

Additionally, in FED, if the runner doesn't use the orange base when she should (play/throw is coming from the diamond side of the double-base), it is an appeal play. The defense must appeal that the runner essentially missed the base. If the defense is correctly on the white and there is a collision because the runner also used the white (only) then the runner is out for interference.

Here are the FED rules:
The Batter-Runner is out
8-2-12... If using the double base, and there is a play on the batter-runner, the BR, touches only the white portion and the defense appeals prior to the BR returning to 1st base. This is treated the same as missing the base.
Exceptions
1) If the ball is thrown from the foul side of first base line, or
2)when an errant or missed throw pulls the defensive player into foul ground.

8-2-13... If using the double base, and there is a force play by an infielder on the BR, who touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white.

Penalty: Interference is ruled, the ball is dead, the BR is out, and all other runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of interference.

I realize that your scenario was initiated by a fielding error rather than a throw but to me the intent of the rule seems... fairly... clear. I think if the defense plainly beat the runner (as in your situation), she should have been called out.

Hope that helps
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree with DTTB on this and when I blow out the candles on my birthday I will wish for NFHS to clarify the wording (along with some other fantasies).