The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics Question

Had an association meeting lastnight for FED ball. Mechanics question was brought up and there were two answers, mine and everyone elses. I wanted to see who was right.

Question was about OBS call, there is OBS between R1 on 2nd and SS when girl is going to 3rd, player is tagged out prior to reaching 3rd base. Question is do you:

a) Call the runner out, then signal dead ball and award the runner 3rd base due to the OBS.

b) Call Dead ball, there was OBS runner is awarded 3rd base.

Awaiting your votes!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Had an association meeting lastnight for FED ball. Mechanics question was brought up and there were two answers, mine and everyone elses. I wanted to see who was right.

Question was about OBS call, there is OBS between R1 on 2nd and SS when girl is going to 3rd, player is tagged out prior to reaching 3rd base. Question is do you:

a) Call the runner out, then signal dead ball and award the runner 3rd base due to the OBS.

Awaiting your votes!
Call/signal dead ball, announce the obstruction, then award the base you felt the runner would have reached had the obstruction not occurred.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Awaiting your votes!
I'm with Scott... b).
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Yup, me too - I'm with Scott & Tom.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I agree - b is the answer.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
That makes six of six. Being right contributes to unanimity.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would say the proper mechanics is "A"..Call the runner out, folllowed by dead ball, runner safe on obstruction.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
I would say the proper mechanics is "A"..Call the runner out, folllowed by dead ball, runner safe on obstruction.

All that guidance from those great minds, and you still wanna call her out? By definition, she cant be out.... so save time...dead ball obstruction..award the base
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Well there it is. I agree b is my answer, but EVERY other official agreed that A was the correct answer. They said "you have to call the play" then award the base. I disagree. To me once they are put out then I kill the play and award the base. Everyone should know they were out, or else I wouldn't have invoked the OBS call!!!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Why confuse the spectators (who largely have a hard time with the concept of obstruction in the first place, including the coaches ) by audibly calling the runner out, then proceeding to put her on a base?

As DaveASA/FED said "Everyone should know they were out, or else I wouldn't have invoked the OBS call!"
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well there it is. I agree b is my answer, but EVERY other official agreed that A was the correct answer. They said "you have to call the play" then award the base. I disagree. To me once they are put out then I kill the play and award the base. Everyone should know they were out, or else I wouldn't have invoked the OBS call!!!
Well...you should tell them that they need to go and read the umpire's manual then. Assuming NFHS, the 2006/2007 Umpire's Manual states:

"All obstruction calls require a delayed dead ball signal. This allows all runners the ability to advance, whether they are played on or not. The umpire will protect the runner only to the base they feel the obstructed batter-runner or runner would have made had there not been obstruction. If the runner is put out prior to this base, a dead ball is called and award base(s)."

So, the prescribed mechanic, by this reading, is to immediately call a dead ball and place the runner on the base you feel that she would have reached. Note that it doesn't say, "If the runner is put out prior to this base, call the out, then call time/dead ball, and award base(s)."

Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
Why confuse the spectators (who largely have a hard time with the concept of obstruction in the first place, including the coaches ) by audibly calling the runner out, then proceeding to put her on a base?
You are exactly right, which is why the prescribed mechanic is as I posted above.

Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball ONLY if you were the umpire which ruled OBS.

We cannot expect our partner(s) to know what is in our mind. However, if you ruled the OBS on a player which is your responsibility, simply kill the play, announce the OBS and applicable award.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Well...you should tell them that they need to go and read the umpire's manual then. Assuming NFHS, the 2006/2007 Umpire's Manual states:

"All obstruction calls require a delayed dead ball signal. This allows all runners the ability to advance, whether they are played on or not. The umpire will protect the runner only to the base they feel the obstructed batter-runner or runner would have made had there not been obstruction. If the runner is put out prior to this base, a dead ball is called and award base(s)."

So, the prescribed mechanic, by this reading, is to immediately call a dead ball and place the runner on the base you feel that she would have reached. Note that it doesn't say, "If the runner is put out prior to this base, call the out, then call time/dead ball, and award base(s)."
You beat me to it.
This is what happens when you get slowed down by reading the stupid threads and miss the real good stuff.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Dead ball ONLY if you were the umpire which ruled OBS.

We cannot expect our partner(s) to know what is in our mind. However, if you ruled the OBS on a player which is your responsibility, simply kill the play, announce the OBS and applicable award.
Ditto. The apparent out includes both a play the OBS umpire has and a runner called out by another umpire.