The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

A's ball 2nd/10 on A 30yl. A23 running a end sweep finds a clear corner then breaks to the sidelines for what looks to be a long gainer. After runner passes the LJ or L should LJ or L slide up the sideline (OOB) following and officiating or should he/she move inward near the first hashmark and officiate while following the play ?
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Wingmen should always follow the runner along the sideline from about 5 to yards in order to open their view to the play.

You should be able to see if the runner steps on the line and the entire body profile of the runner.

Umpire and Referee should follow on the hash marks being aware of any unnecessary action away from the play.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Admittedly I'm not an expert on mechanics yet as this is my first year officiating H.S. football. However I have been to a few clinics and all the clinicians I have worked with have told me to follow the play OOB up the sidelines. You are responsible for any out of bounds spots, as well as any fouls that may occur trailing the play.

I'd be interested to hear from more experienced officials as well.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by c it first
A's ball 2nd/10 on A 30yl. A23 running a end sweep finds a clear corner then breaks to the sidelines for what looks to be a long gainer. After runner passes the LJ or L should LJ or L slide up the sideline (OOB) following and officiating or should he/she move inward near the first hashmark and officiate while following the play ?
Ditto to Ed. Wings shoud stay on the sideline to rule OB or not. PLus, if he is breaking for teh EZ, you now have a great oppurtunity to use "crew communication" and wing & BJ can nod that the runner was both in bounds and crossed goal line. Looks good to all watching!
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Just remember to focus mostly on the point of attack until the runner is about to be tackled or go out of bounds. Many of the blocks-in-the-back or holds are going to be the wing's responsibility too. (If in doubt, the block's legal, of course)

But, to answer the original question -- you have to stay on the sidelines. You have all OOB coverage in crews of 5 or less.

Rich
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

At a camp I was at, it was said that the hardest play to cover on the wing is a sweep or screen to your side because the tendency is to try and stay ahead of the runner so get out of the way. The best way to cover this, however, is to drop off the line about five yards and let the play pass you by.

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Sat Aug 30, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schultj
At a camp I was at, it was said that the hardest play to cover on the wing is a sweep or screen to your side because the tendency is to try and stay ahead of the runner so get out of the way.
I have to disagree with regards to the hardest play to cover. If the ball is coming at you on this play, simply back up, and let the play come to you or go by you. Then move downfield. IMHO, the most difficult play for the wing to officiate in 5 man is the scramble to your side. Will he run? Will he pass? Difficult to watch your right and your left at the same time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 30, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Schultj
At a camp I was at, it was said that the hardest play to cover on the wing is a sweep or screen to your side because the tendency is to try and stay ahead of the runner so get out of the way.
For many young officials, especially those with good speed, you want to keep up or stay ahead of the play. The worst position to call any play is moving downfield looking over your shoulder.

When you read sweep, just relax and back up on the sideline about three to five yards and let the play go. Open yourself up to the play by trailing five to ten yards behind. The view is great you see the linemen leading, the runner following, the defenders trying to stop the play. Once the runner is tackled close on the spot and watch any action around the runner.

One other thing I have trouble with a lot of new officials. Don't get overly concerned with the spot and turn in toward the field if there are players lying on the ground OOB.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

One other thing I have trouble with a lot of new officials. Don't get overly concerned with the spot and turn in toward the field if there are players lying on the ground OOB.

Am I following you on the Ed? I agree with watching around the downed runner for unneeded action but are you saying to look in on OOB plays? Or not to look in?? I have always been one to watch out on OOB plays and my U, R and/or BJ will watch in. I agree I an open to something happening behind me and getting hit from behind but I have been taught to "take my time" on getting to the spot so the action has time to stop to prevent me from getting hit from behind.
I did watch a crew work this weekend where the wing watched in and the U ran OOB to clean up that area. I personally did not care for that as U should be at or near the hash unless a problem arises. R and/or BJ should come up for the OOB area. But that is MHO.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.