The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Question Another two-ump question

Hi folks,

I ump and play in a men's fastpitch league in Israel (yes!). Our games have two umps (if we're lucky!).

I have been told by a few folks here that if the BU is behind 2nd or SS (ie, not at first base), then the PU cannot refer to him for an appealed check swing. The reasoning is that the BU cannot see the swing from where he is standing.

So, the question is twofold: Is this how you guys work? Or not?
Secondly, say the PU *does* ask the BU for help, by pointing at him. What is the BU to do?

My take on it is that the BU should be able to do this, as I think he can clearly see if the batter intended to swing or not. Whether he "broke his wrists" or not is only a small indicator of his intent. You can tell if a batter wanted to hit that ball, it's usually straight-forward.

What do you folks say?

Thanks,

Shmuel
www.eteamz.com/dawgsoftball
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

I'll go to my partner anywhere he is and ask on a check swing if the defense requests it - and I expect the truth from him. now if I am out there and my partner comes to me - I'll answer truthfully. but unless I am 150% sure she went, then its a NO.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Agree with your premise of "the BU should be able to do this, as I think he can clearly see if the batter intended to swing or not. Whether he "broke his wrists" or not is only a small indicator of his intent. You can tell if a batter wanted to hit that ball, it's usually straight-forward. ";
except
the BU can do this, sometimes can clearly see if the batter swung or not. ... if a batter wanted to hit that ball, it's reasonable

Yes, I will ask as PU and respond as BU if sure, never guessing a strike. Of course, one of my worst mistakes (years ago) was asking a PU in C position; and getting a strike response when it apparently was the wrong call and I was confident in my initial call as no swing. Unfortunately, it was also strike three, third out, bottom of seventh, 1-0 game.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

As the PU, I will always go to my partner on a request for a check swing. And, I always expect an honest answer from him.

As the BU, I will always give as a response exactly what I saw if I am requested to help on a check swing.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Of course, one of my worst mistakes (years ago) was asking a PU in C position;
I think the bigger mistake, Cecil, was working with a PU who was in C position in the first place.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I think the bigger mistake, Cecil, was working with a PU who was in C position in the first place.
No wonder it was a mess!