The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

ASA Banned Bat List

The banned list grew by a dozen this year to over 50. Until USSSA and ISF and others get on the ASA bandwagon, manufacturers will continue to deliberately make hot bats. They even advertise them as 100+ mph or "too hot for ASA!"

However, none of them are going to have a 2004 Cert Mark so I suppose it is not an issue with ASA or NFHS play. However - does anybody know if there are bats with a 2004 Cert Mark that are now on the banned list?

I know the L.S. Catalyst 305 is now on the banned list (FP bat); and that is the only one that I check for. (I found a couple last year.) Are there any others that we should be aware of?

WMB
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Non-approved Bat List
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA Non-approved Bat List
However - does anybody know if there are bats with a 2004 Cert Mark that are now on the ASA Non-approved Bat List?

WMB
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

My wish-- hey it is just a wish--is that governing bodies
for high school softball such as FHSAA here in Florida would simply
put their OK on about 10 or 12 bats for use and leave it at that !!
I'm getting tired of all these bats lists---non-approved-- grandfathered
---updates--- 2000, 2003, 2004, 2008 ---etc. etc.
Why not ???
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck! I would love if everyone followed the ASA in this regard. I just don't see it happening. Softball at the adult slow-pitch level is a dwindling sport, and the other sanctioning bodies will do whatever it takes to continue to get the numbers they need. Here in Indiana a pitcher died in a rec league game several years ago. They hold a memorial tournament in his honor every year for his family. The bats took the game over, and in my opinion have ruined it. Anyone willing to spend $300 can learn to hit a ball 350ft. Not to mention all the altering that goes on. Lowering the home runs has only directed that energy at the pitchers and infielders. Good defense has been marginalized, as well as the unsporting and ego driven nature of the game. It is a shame. Traveling with my friends in various tournaments around the Midwest used to be a fun summertime activity. There a been a few wooden bat tournaments emerge in recent years, and they have been some of the most fun and entertaining tournaments I have played in. This will obviously never become the norm. Places like Ohio and Kentucky softball is still huge, but in Indiana I feel it is a dying sport. Until the players take matters in there own hands, or some of the other bodies get sued successfully in some way nothing will change. But I don't see that happening either.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Banned Bats

In the UK, even though we are ESF/ISF affliated, we use the ASA Banned Bat List as our source.
Not to be quoted on, but I believe that many other ISF Countries use the ASA List.
And really pushing the boat out a bit more, I think that ESF (European Softball Federation) uses the ASA List at it's tournaments, I stand to be corrected.

The ASA banned bat list is the only real source of approval, that is tried and tested, and works for the safety of all.

I would also like to state that Banned Bats are a very serious subject with ISF/ESF and we are consistently checking bats before every game and tournament, and the 'bad ones' are held till end of game/tournament by the technical officer.
Bats that are approved at the checking time, get a identifiable label that approves it.
Low and Behold anyone that tries to use an illegal bat, especially after Holland 2 seasons ago, when an illegal bat almost killed a National pitcher, to the point where he was on life support, it will not be tolerated, and is punishable by 'death' ... well a long ban anyhow.

Last edited by ukumpire; Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 10:00am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

The Louisville Slugger FPC305 is the only bat with a 2004 stamp on the list. There are still a good many that have the 2000 stamp that are on the list.

Now in Fed it is not an issue as it is no stamp no go but what about ASA without a stamp on some of the older bats like the 97 Demarini that still gets used a good bit?

The ASA code states:

"must, in the sole opinion and discretion of the umpire, have been manufactured prior to 2000 and if tested, would comply with the ASA bat performance standards then in effect."

So on older bats that have no stamp, do any of you allow them?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Here in Indiana a pitcher died in a rec league game several years ago.

Was this the result of a hot bat? If so, were there legal consequences?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
Now in Fed it is not an issue as it is no stamp no go
Not quite. It is "not approved by ASA using the 2004 testing procedure, no go". Doesn't say anything about stamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
So on older bats that have no stamp, do any of you allow them?
In ASA, sure. No reason not to allow some of those old, cast iron Louisville Sluggers!

Non-2004 stamped bats can be legal in a NFHS game if they are on the ASA Approved list and 2004 stamped bats can also be illegal if they are on the ASA Banned Bat List.

WMB has posted on another forum a pretty good technique for handling Fed bat inspections without having to memorize the lists or carry a 20 page listing of legal bats. Here it is:
Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue (on another forum):
...I go through a dugout and see a full collection of 2004 certified bats, and none are on the banned list, I am ready to go. If I see a non-2004 bat I tell the coach its not legal. If he disagrees, he can show me where it is on his copy of the approved bats and I let it go.

It is the coach's responsibility to have legal equipment. I am not going to paw through 20 pages trying to keep bats in the game (which they probably don't need anyway). Throw it out and let the coach respond.

BTW - I carry the banned list on a small card in my line-up folder. I have highlighted the FP bats. There are only a few. All the rest are SP bats. Girls are not going to swing a 2 oz drop SP bat so I don't worry about the full list. So I have the few FP bats memorized.

For me, it is quick. Grab a bat, look for 2004 Cert, pull it through my hand, and set it down. Only if it feels bad do I even have to pull out the bat ring. And if it is yellow (Catalyst) I am going to look for the model number. 5 sec/bat; 10 bats, done in a minute.

WMB

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 12:12pm.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Here in Indiana a pitcher died in a rec league game several years ago.

Was this the result of a hot bat? If so, were there legal consequences?
I don't think so. I believe it was a black worth est. The ball hit the guy in the neck. The guy that hit him was a college kid. I think it was a lot of different circumstances coming together all at once. My thing is if you put a much hotter bat in a more experienced players hands injuries can happen more frequently. People aim at other teams pitchers all season long in comp. softball. That's why a five man infield has become more popular. It's also why pitchers have begun to wear varying types of head gear.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

j51969, where do you call home? I'm in Greenwood, about 10 mintues from the above mentioned park. (although I work ZERO games there.)

I find it ironic that the park where that happened at is "rumored" to have the highest percentage of "doctored" bats.