The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

3 Person Mechanic Question

With runners on 1st and 3rd. 1B U is shading the runner at 1st. 3B U is on the line at 3rd. The mechanics section of the rule book does not adequately cover the responsibilities, in my opinion that is. I understand the responsibilities when either of the base umpires go out on the fly ball. But what happens when the fly ball is hit close to the foul line in RF? The mechanics says that the plate umpire is responsible for calling fly balls when the RF is going toward the foul line. This means that 1B U does not go out on the fly ball. Nor does the 3B U. Who has the tag up responsibilities? Where do the base umpires go? Where does the plate umpire go?

My guess is that both base umpires button hook in. The 1B U takes the tag up at 1B. The 3B U positions himself at 2nd, maybe(?). The plate umpire has the tag up at 3B and the play at the plate and 3rd base.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

No. When U1 is in the counter-rotated position, there is no rotation if no base umpire chases; U1 has all plays at both 1B and 2B from the counter-rotated position. U1 buttonhooks, takes the tag up at 1B, and takes R2 to 2B, if that happens. PU has the catch/no catch, the fair/foul if it drops, and in play/out of play, and any play at the plate; PU must stay on the line near the plate, or line up the out of play line/fence, if that comes into play. U3 has the tag up at 3B, and any subsequent play at 3B; with a fly ball to right field, that is likely best lined up from foul ground, then await any subsequent play.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
No. When U1 is in the counter-rotated position, there is no rotation if no base umpire chases; U1 has all plays at both 1B and 2B from the counter-rotated position. U1 buttonhooks, takes the tag up at 1B, and takes R2 to 2B, if that happens. PU has the catch/no catch, the fair/foul if it drops, and in play/out of play, and any play at the plate; PU must stay on the line near the plate, or line up the out of play line/fence, if that comes into play. U3 has the tag up at 3B, and any subsequent play at 3B; with a fly ball to right field, that is likely best lined up from foul ground, then await any subsequent play.

I want you to know that I typed a nice long response to this question and posted it, merely to find that you had already posted this. So...I went and deleted the redundacy!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

That makes sense!