The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

A philosophical question:

The play: ASA rules, R1 on first, stealing on the pitch. The throw to second is high and toward the first base side of second base. F6 jumps to catch the throw. Before F6 has the ball, R1 sees F6 coming toward her and jumping to get the ball. R1 slows down and covers her head to avoid being hit by the ball. F6 catches the high throw and tags R1 for the out.

This play happened to me in a rec league game last year. I failed to call the obvious obstruction and called the out. The coaches had no clue, so nothing was said and the game continued.

The philosophical question:

If this happened to you and the coach of the offensive team approached you properly and asked if there had been obstruction – Fully realizing that the coach was right and you blew it, would you then call the obstruction and place the runner accordingly?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen the runner (wrongly, of course) called out on that play for failing to avoid running into F6.

If I knew the coach was right (or even if I just personally realized I was mistaken), I would indeed change my call.

I do not like this rule and much prefer the old ASA (and current NCAA) rule, where in general no OBS is called on a fielder who is drawn into the path of the runner while in the immediate act of fielding a throw. Especially at higher levels, the runner should know to keep coming and slide. But at lower levels and in rec leagues, the runner's instincts are usually to slow down or stop, so I understand the reasoning.

In my experience, at the higher levels of men's SP, this rule is virtually never invoked, because the runners do not alter their stride and simply keep coming.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

If this happened to you and the coach of the offensive team approached you properly and asked if there had been obstruction – Fully realizing that the coach was right and you blew it, would you then call the obstruction and place the runner accordingly?
Do I have a partner that I could pretend to conference with before I reverse myself, or do I have to do it all alone in front of God and everyone?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Do I have a partner that I could pretend to conference with before I reverse myself, or do I have to do it all alone in front of God and everyone?
I do the same... pretend conference with my partner... sort of. I will say to partner, you know I think I blew that. I had "A" but now I'm thinking "B". What do you think? The reason I asked for their opinion is I really want it and if I'm going to conference with them, I want to at least get their opinion. I would have a hard time overturning my own ruling if they agreed with that original ruling.

I had a partner once come to me for a conference and say, "Well I blew that. I'm going to change it." He left quickly and never heard my opinion. He changed his call and for the rest of the game the coach on the short end of the call was all over me because he thought I screwed him.

(I agreed with my partner that he blew it and he should change it, but I took the heat and never got to give my thoughts.)
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

True story:

State tournament, 14U.

Backstop and dugouts relatively close to plate area and one team is in control of the game. Team in the field is clearly the better team.

Two out, 2-2 count, pitch paints the outside corner.

Umpire: Ball
Def bench: Oooooooohhh!
Umpire: Oops, my bad. Strike three!

I couldn't have gotten away from that field any quicker. However, the offense didn't say a word. The umpire has three nationals under his belt including an 18U, all with excellent ratings.

What it often comes down to is that we're human and **** happens.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Doesn't that just come down to a momentary loss of the game situation? Bottom of the last 2 out 2-2 count team up big in the field anything close to that outside corner is a BIG sell strike 3!!

Ok before I get blasted I am just kidding, sort of!
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
If everyone is at the game, you get bigger crowds the we do.
FWIW, I'm less embarassed by a bad call than by not fixing it.
One partner I was and am most frustrated wasn't even watching from the plate when I blew a critical call at 1st; then said so very loudly so I couldn't even pretend he helped with reversing it.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe this to be obstruction....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
The play: ASA rules, R1 on first, stealing on the pitch. The throw to second is high and toward the first base side of second base. F6 jumps to catch the throw. Before F6 has the ball, R1 sees F6 coming toward her and jumping to get the ball. R1 slows down and covers her head to avoid being hit by the ball. F6 catches the high throw and tags R1 for the out.

This play happened to me in a rec league game last year. I failed to call the obvious obstruction and called the out. The coaches had no clue, so nothing was said and the game continued.

I don't have my rulebook with me but I believe this to be a legal play by F6. She is in the act of fielding a thrown ball and there can be no obstruction in this case, just as in fielding a batted ball. Again, I'm going by memory. I'll look it up tonight, but I do recall that the fielder is given the same protection on a thrown ball.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the others and ESPECIALLY Dakota's train of thought...in a case like this, if you blow you gotta fix it. Much better to fix it with the assistance of a partner. Sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
I don't have my rulebook with me but I believe this to be a legal play by F6. She is in the act of fielding a thrown ball and there can be no obstruction in this case, just as in fielding a batted ball. Again, I'm going by memory. I'll look it up tonight, but I do recall that the fielder is given the same protection on a thrown ball.
he said asa...
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
True story:

State tournament, 14U.

Backstop and dugouts relatively close to plate area and one team is in control of the game. Team in the field is clearly the better team.

Two out, 2-2 count, pitch paints the outside corner.

Umpire: Ball
Def bench: Oooooooohhh!
Umpire: Oops, my bad. Strike three!

I couldn't have gotten away from that field any quicker. However, the offense didn't say a word. The umpire has three nationals under his belt including an 18U, all with excellent ratings.

What it often comes down to is that we're human and **** happens.

Last year 18 G or A show case.. flame thrower on the mound inning after inning..

So mid game they changed pitchers when taking the field and I didnt notice (and not required to report it) ..

A Wizard Magician Pitcher throws a junk pitch that spins and twists and floats and hovers into the mit.. right down the middle.... perfect strike.

Stunned by the junk pitch.. I hear the words "ball" come out of my mouth.

Catcher asks me "what was wrong with that pitch"..

I just told her "look, that was a beautiful pitch - she got me ok?"

I didnt change the call and she reported that to the coach who came over and loved the fact his pitcher had zapped me.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
I had a partner once come to me for a conference and say, "Well I blew that. I'm going to change it." He left quickly and never heard my opinion. He changed his call and for the rest of the game the coach on the short end of the call was all over me because he thought I screwed him.

(I agreed with my partner that he blew it and he should change it, but I took the heat and never got to give my thoughts.)
What????

Why would you allow a coach to "give you heat" for the rest of the game? Wasn't it a judgment call? Sounds like it was time for the coach to go sit on the bus.

Unless you disagreed with your partner and let the coach hear your disagreement during the conference you would still have taken heat anyway because you didn't agree with the coach.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
No, not the same protection.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
OP - stated that runner slowed down and covered her head to avoid being hit by the ball. ( I'm guessing she put her bare hands on top of a perfectly good, safe helmet.) So she should be awarded an obstruction call because the ball obstructed her? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP but.......

That's not the main point of the OP, anyway. Even if I'm absolutely sure I blew the call, I will conference with my partner. Verbalizing the situation with my partner will help me be certain I am seeing clearly what actually happened, and this will also avoid the appearance of "letting the coach make my call for me".
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, not the same protection.
I agree.
A bad throw does not give the fielder the right to obstruct.