The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Dealing with evaluations

Ok before I start here I want to say I am ALWAYS looking for input on how to get better, and appreciate anything, anybody has to tell me. Now with that said here some background on the situation....

State Tourney 12U B, I am having a pretty good tourney, and I get off the diamond and the UIC tells me he needs to talk to me...great, right? We are doing plate, field, out rotation. Well he tells me that the losing coach of my plate game came up to him after the game and the state UIC was standing with him the guy asked if he was UIC...anyway the guy tells him I had a very consistant strike zone and called a great game. Surprise! Anyway he mentioned it was nice that the state UIC was standing there yada yada....so I am feeling good, UIC gives me plate on the championship game so I think I must have had a good tourney....then I get my evaluation.....Now mind you I asked the UIC after every game to hear any constructive advice and other than a few minor items to think about on positioning on plays nothing....well my eval was all good with a couple of above averages....I know everyone "grades" differently but the only concern is how are those looked at in the state level to be used to determine who advances and gets National assignments etc? And if they view me as only middle of the road then why is there not some explaination as to what I need to improve on to get above average?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok before I start here I want to say I am ALWAYS looking for input on how to get better, and appreciate anything, anybody has to tell me. Now with that said here some background on the situation....

State Tourney 12U B, I am having a pretty good tourney, and I get off the diamond and the UIC tells me he needs to talk to me...great, right? We are doing plate, field, out rotation. Well he tells me that the losing coach of my plate game came up to him after the game and the state UIC was standing with him the guy asked if he was UIC...anyway the guy tells him I had a very consistant strike zone and called a great game. Surprise! Anyway he mentioned it was nice that the state UIC was standing there yada yada....so I am feeling good, UIC gives me plate on the championship game so I think I must have had a good tourney....then I get my evaluation.....Now mind you I asked the UIC after every game to hear any constructive advice and other than a few minor items to think about on positioning on plays nothing....well my eval was all good with a couple of above averages....I know everyone "grades" differently but the only concern is how are those looked at in the state level to be used to determine who advances and gets National assignments etc? And if they view me as only middle of the road then why is there not some explaination as to what I need to improve on to get above average?

First of all,,he gave u the plate on the 2nd biggest game,,, (losers bracket finals always seem bigger, but thats just my opinion)...so thats a good thing.... after working a 12b tournament dont expect to see excellents all the way around.....the above averages sound like they are pretty good to me... It sounds like you had a good tournament and got a good evaluation. Take the criticism and apply it for the next tournament.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

AZ,
Not sure I follow why you couldn't expect to see above averages and Excellents just cause the tourney was 12UB. I chose that tourney over a 16A the state wanted me to do since it was closer to home and I needed to be home at night that weekend for my kids. Just cause someone umpires a 12UB doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing much higher ball. Also, as I said I am always open to learn and take constructive critism but there was none given, just cirlces on the paper...no notes, no advice given in person at the tourney.....that is what I am upset about!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
AZ,
Not sure I follow why you couldn't expect to see above averages and Excellents just cause the tourney was 12UB. I chose that tourney over a 16A the state wanted me to do since it was closer to home and I needed to be home at night that weekend for my kids. Just cause someone umpires a 12UB doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing much higher ball. Also, as I said I am always open to learn and take constructive critism but there was none given, just cirlces on the paper...no notes, no advice given in person at the tourney.....that is what I am upset about!
Please..dont think I am questioning your abilities.....thats not the case..... and I agree..if you saw something on the evaluation that you didnt hear first hand, that can be an issue.

12B can be a tough one to work..you never know where the ball is going
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I certainly can't tell you what the evaluation means to your UIC, or in your area. But, I can say that there is more than one school of thought regarding evaluations and relating it to the caliber of ball.

Being a completely effective umpire in a 12B tournament may be reason to be rated excellent; but, how does it relate to the umpire who is completely effective in 18 Gold? Apples and oranges; it is impossible to show that you can handle 18 Gold caliber of play in a 12B yournament, no matter how good you look.

So, should an evaluation be based on an absolute scale that says one rated "excellent" is capable of working effectively at any level, or should it be based on the ball being played, wherein you were excellent? I submit that the absolute scale should be adhered to; and that being excellent in 12B can't be a basis to be assigned to an 18 Gold Sector Qualifier. If that is how your UIC meant it, you were fairly evaluated.

Personally, I prefer evaluation forms with some added judgement, forcing an evaluator to judge if you should not call at that level, are effective at that level, or if you are capable of advancing beyond that level. That one item would help you understand the basis of the evaluation, if it is on an absolute scale, or just based on that level.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Its clear that you need to work on the most important aspect to advancing in ASA.

Kissing some serious booty.

Now I happen to prefer the forward, knee bend position...
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Wadeintothem
Lets make this very clear
It is not only ASA that needs booty licking to advance.
I am sure other associations in the US have the same requirements .
I know New Zealand Umps who lick *** ( not kick *** ) seem to advance no matter what level games they do and how many .