The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you believe is the larger deterent to crime?
Flogging/Whipping Post 1 10.00%
Swift Death Penalty 1 10.00%
Forced Reading of FUBlue/Dakota's Posts 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

However, reading this knowledgeable article taught me something. I never knew that there was a pitching mound in softball.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Sorry to disagree with all here but I'm for banning the bats. They've become lethal weapons out there. When a 12 yr old can cause death just by hitting a ball something needs to be done. I do rec ball here on L.I. New York and I'm fearful of getting hit. Can you still cause injury with a wooden bat,sure but not a catastrophic one like the Metal ones can.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
Sorry to disagree with all here but I'm for banning the bats. They've become lethal weapons out there. When a 12 yr old can cause death just by hitting a ball something needs to be done. I do rec ball here on L.I. New York and I'm fearful of getting hit. Can you still cause injury with a wooden bat,sure but not a catastrophic one like the Metal ones can.
Other than personal opinion, there is absolutely nothing to substantiate this comment.

This is not a valid issue for legislation. It is a "Chicken Little" theory that is absurd, and being used as a political tool. What happens next year when a kid gets killed (which did not happen in the case of point) by a shot off a wood bat?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Other than personal opinion, there is absolutely nothing to substantiate this comment.

This is not a valid issue for legislation. It is a "Chicken Little" theory that is absurd, and being used as a political tool. What happens next year when a kid gets killed (which did not happen in the case of point) by a shot off a wood bat?
Or has an eye put out or other serious injury by a broken wood bat?

Idiot "we are smarter than you and can tell you what to do for your own good" politicians are, unfortunately, not limited to NJ. It is everywhere and covering all aspects of our lives.

Leave this kind of thing to the leagues, the sanctioning bodies, and to personal, individual, parental decisions. I can make my own decisions, thank you very much, and I have much greater faith in the individual than I do in any vote-buying, pandering politician.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Or has an eye put out or other serious injury by a broken wood bat?

Idiot "we are smarter than you and can tell you what to do for your own good" politicians are, unfortunately, not limited to NJ. It is everywhere and covering all aspects of our lives.

Leave this kind of thing to the leagues, the sanctioning bodies, and to personal, individual, parental decisions. I can make my own decisions, thank you very much, and I have much greater faith in the individual than I do in any vote-buying, pandering politician.
Come to think of it, Didn't Steve Yeager invent the dangling throat protector because he was injured by a broken wooden bat while on deck?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute - I just feel like being obstinate here!

All you Libertarians that are getting SO upset about government interferring with your lives to legislate safety - so how do you feel about seatbelts and motorcycle helmets and OSHA and smoke detectors in public buildings? How about traffic lights and yellow no passing zones? Should we have any controls over the transportation of hazzardous materials? (Or disposal of?)

Does the NFHS have the authority to force females warming up pitchers to wear a (legal) helmet/mask - but not the male players? Has not ASA decided that hot metal bats are threating the safety of the players in softball? Are they not using their power to FORCE independent American manufacturing companies to conform to their definition of what is a proper product to build and sell?

WMB
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Wait a minute - I just feel like being obstinate here!
There's a surprise!
Quote:
All you Libertarians that are getting SO upset about government interferring with your lives to legislate safety
Let's not overgeneralize.
Quote:
- so how do you feel about seatbelts and motorcycle helmets
But, since you asked, they should be available, but use should not be legislated for adults.
Quote:
and OSHA and smoke detectors in public buildings? How about traffic lights and yellow no passing zones? Should we have any controls over the transportation of hazzardous materials? (Or disposal of?)
These all go beyond individual decisions and consequences, although I do think some of these (e.g. OSHA) are highly questionable in many circumstances, and the general thinking leads to all of the smoking, fat, food, etc., Nazis running around today all trying to put into law what is "best" for me.
Quote:
Does the NFHS have the authority to force females warming up pitchers to wear a (legal) helmet/mask - but not the male players?
The right? Sure, but maybe I shouldn't say that too loud. Might be a politician running for re-election reading this. Is it wise? Probably not.
Quote:
Has not ASA decided that hot metal bats are threating the safety of the players in softball? Are they not using their power to FORCE independent American manufacturing companies to conform to their definition of what is a proper product to build and sell?

WMB
ASA is not forcing any bat manufacturer to do anything, witness all the illegal (for ASA) bats still being made.

You've made a leap that many who take your position take, and it is a strawman argument.

Only the government has legitimate authority enforceable by the power of police. Neither the NFHS nor ASA have that authority. If I want to form a league that plays by the TSA rules (Tom's Softball Association), I can, regardless of what ASA or NFHS do. A state law is an entirely different animal.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
But the whole point is, if a group doesn't like bats other than wooden ones, you start a league that uses only wooden bats. Don't look to someone to legislate to you how you, or others, should conduct yourself.

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well....maybe I should have read on before I posted that last post. As per usual, I see that Tom has made the argument very eloquently.

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
It's a good thing George Washington and friends didn't try to solve a problem by running away
Don't let the border gate hit you in the rear on the way north. And don't forget your woolen jammies.

Bob
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

for the record, i oppose helmet and seatbelt laws as well

i hate goober cell phone users and their crappy driving - but oppose the new CA law.

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I support laws that would ban anything that has caused an injury or death. We need to reduce those to 0% - thats the only way that we all stay safe forever.
So, lets look in the past, and anything that has caused harm must go!
Laws can protect us all, and our lawmakers do care. Full body armour 24/7.
Thats what I say....
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I support laws that would ban anything that has caused an injury or death. We need to reduce those to 0% - thats the only way that we all stay safe forever.
So, Mr. Angel, or can I call you Arch?

For those who believe in God, such laws much be very tough for you to swallow. Who would think that a 1.25 inch vinyl strap or plastic helmet could deter God's will?

After all, when God says it's time, it must be time, right?

Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Gotta admit, I'm a fan of using wood bats and punky balls - but not a fan of legislating that. I'm such a fan because there are way too many mediocre players who can now bat 400 or higher. I like "small ball" and when somebody does blast one out of the park, I'm impressed. That's not so with the technologically enhanced bats & balls today.

But legislating it?!? Not unless they legislate a whole lot of other things - many of which are already listed.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Gotta admit, I'm a fan of using wood bats and punky balls - but not a fan of legislating that. I'm such a fan because there are way too many mediocre players who can now bat 400 or higher. I like "small ball" and when somebody does blast one out of the park, I'm impressed. That's not so with the technologically enhanced bats & balls today.

But legislating it?!? Not unless they legislate a whole lot of other things - many of which are already listed.
Steve,

I believe that is the main issue. There are far too many other things needed to be addressed in this country by our representatives whether it be at the national, state or local level.

"Legislation" is not the answer to every little pet peeve or concern of a constituent.