The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Fresh boys game. Team A is out classed but playing with more class. Start of the 3rd, one of their players comes up to me to show me the blood on his wrist. I think he was trying to show me that he got fouled at the end of the 2nd and I that I missed it. Told the coach, he made a comment in passing (in a joking manner), and replaced him.

Team A is getting spanked yet the coach is still providing positive leadership to his boys. Team B's coach is constantly yelling at his boys and commenting on team A travelling everytime they get the ball. Didn't matter whether team a was dribbling, pivoting, stationery, or even have the ball, according to the coach they were travelling.

Can't think of a whitty way to close this. Probably isn't going to help earn me a spot of the USOST.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Speaking of this, has anyone considered telling a coach that you don't want to hear the word "traveling" (or "three-seconds" etc.) come out of his mouth again?
I had a few YMCA games the other night, and I could have called traveling on 90% of the trips down the floor, but probably called 3 or 4 over the three games total. Five of the six coaches constantly complained about traveling on the other team (the sixth was actually the representative from the YMCA and was very well behaved).

I think in hindsight I know how I should address that situation, but I'm also looking to address it at the sub-varsity level.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

While I was stuck in front of him on one trip down. He yelled travel probably 4 times. Ball goes dead, he's still complaining about travelling. So I had to ask him if he understood what travelling is. Shut him up for a minute.

I did tell the coaches that one game. I think they paid as much attention as the captiains do during the meeting. I usually tune them out when they get this way. As long as it doesn't get out of hand I'm ok with it. What does seem to happen is they are harpin' away about something, I've blocked them out of thought and then he starts hollering for a TO. And then he wonders why he didn't get his TO request immediately.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Five of the six coaches constantly complained about traveling on the other team .
What's always fun is when the coach yells like that, then his kid does the exact same move. Usually, if you look at the caoch and say, "Like that?" they'll get the message. Usually, not always!
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

When you come across a coach that incessantly begs for calls you would be best served to politely direct him to limit his verbal remarks to a respectful manner and allow you to do your job.

Allow him to inquire about a call or no call when YOU are available to address his inquiries such as during a dead ball, timeout, etc.

If you feel that his behavior is more of a ranting nature and you feel it is beyond the level of acceptable behavior you are willing to absorb then by all means reach into your pocket and dole out an award. You could also tighten up your enforcement of the coach's box and let him expedite his restriction to a seat belt position.

The amount of verbal abuse you receive from a coach is totally up to you. I suggest you come to some personal decision as to what level is acceptable and be consistent with how you put an end to it.

Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

wait til his team gets the ball and travels with it. call the violation and when he says something else just remind him that it's a training league but since he insisted on it you call it.......
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
wait til his team gets the ball and travels with it. call the violation and when he says something else just remind him that it's a training league but since he insisted on it you call it.......
Actually, I was thinking of approaching the coaches at midcourt and saying, "I'm fully aware of the traveling rules. But I need to know if the two of you want me to begin strictly enforcing it." Note, I'd only use this at the younger YMCA level where it is obvious to everyone that I'm not calling a lot of traveling. We had a running clock, so it really wouldn't have prolonged the game any.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 02:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Speaking of this, has anyone considered telling a coach that you don't want to hear the word "traveling" (or "three-seconds" etc.) come out of his mouth again?
Yep know what you mean. Sadly I've called a girls varsity game just like this. I called about the first 6 and then it was just like....are you serious? Let most of them go the remainder of the game...it also helped it was a blow out too.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a few YMCA games the other night, and I could have called traveling on 90% of the trips down the floor, but probably called 3 or 4 over the three games total. Five of the six coaches constantly complained about traveling on the other team (the sixth was actually the representative from the YMCA and was very well behaved).

I think in hindsight I know how I should address that situation, but I'm also looking to address it at the sub-varsity level.
It's easy.

Just say,"Coach that is ENOUGH, you coach your kids and I'll call the game."

If they open their trap again, WHACK.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Same with coaches continuously hollaring "3 seconds"!

They obviously teach their players to stay out of the lane and want it called against the other team every time down the floor.

Unfortunately their players stay out of the lane so we get no opportunity to call it against them to prove a point, but when running up the court the other way, I may say "Coach, I hear ya about the ___, but I'm hearin ya too much"!

The coach got the picture.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:19pm
In Memoriam

A simple STFU works well for me.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Same with coaches continuously hollaring "3 seconds"!
Davism for this: "Coach, that wasn't three seconds even in dog years."
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Fortunately you got it like that. For some of us we have to make our penance!

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 13th, 2005 at 06:55 AM]
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Fortunately you got it like that. For some of us we have to make your penance!
Must be me, but I don't have a clue what you're trying to tell me. Care to explain.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Why drop down to the coach's level by trying to be witty? Stay consistent (whether relaxed on traveling or otherwise)and simply tell the coach to "adjust". Don't let it frustrate you that the coach won't do what you would do - referee the game and control what you can! You can't fix stupid - don't try.