The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

ejection after the game

ASA slow pitch mens....SP game next to mine umped by my hs varsity baseball partner....before the start of the last half of my 7th inning, i see his 2 teams shaking hands, game over, then hear the losing pitcher yelling about a low pitch (under 6') called against him is the 6th inning, he gets in the umps face cussing, EJECTED!, had to be pulled off by his teammates...
So, I'm chuckling to myself, looking forward to between games converse w/ partner.....
Back to my game, losing home team's 2nd batter, down by 4runs, 1 out- 1st pitch-Strike!- he turns and asked if that wasnt deep? Told him, "No- it crossed the plate about stomach high"(landed behind plate about 18in)---next pitch, hit single.
3rd batter walks up, using his bat, starts poking the ground behind plate, asking, Is this a strike?, Is this a strike? Told him that "he's been playing SB enough to know a strike zone, I'm not going to delay the game to explain, lets play ball". 1st pitch, he hits a grounder to SS, doesnt run to 1st, double play, game over. As he walks past me to his bench, calls me a smarta$$ c**ks**cker----Ejected! As both teams are shaking hands, he grabs his teams bats, walks toward me then turns and throws them on the field, scattering his teammates, then grabs a cooler and dumps ice, OJ slices onto field.
Diamond supervisor had called police about the other games pitcher, who was still yelling when I tossed the player in my game- now they're both yelling how bad the umps are. I just grab the scoresheet and walk away, shaking my head. Police arrive but both teams involved had left -or were in the parking lot?- police ask me what happened, but I didnt feel threatened, so they said they would cruise the lot....
During my next game, overheard the teams talking " Be careful with this ump, he thru a guy out, then called the police on him!"
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes -- no, make that most times I am embarrassed by the poor behavior of the male of our species.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Sometimes -- no, make that most times I am embarrassed by the poor behavior of the male of our species.

This is the exact reason why I quit doing these leagues about 8 years ago. These are the same parents that run out and deck kids during the son's football games!!
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Yup. "Adult" behavior is also a factor in why I quit calling SP many moons ago.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, this stuff happens all too often today in men's SP. I've seen similar idiocy many times. And they eject players, and the league hands out suspensions, but these consequences don't seem to inhibit the hotheads when something sets them off the next time.

And you never know what will light their fuse. Explosions such as these often happen suddenly—in the midst of what had been uneventful games. A recent example from a tournament: the batting team is way ahead in the 5th inning of a rather quiet game. The ump calls a borderline-flat 2-0 pitch a strike. Instead of asking about the pitch or somehow quietly showing his displeasure with the call, the batter blows up and starts screaming about this is ASA, not USSSA. The ump, a 25-year SP vet, tosses the guy. So the guy sits in the stands and cries about ASA, not USSSA, until the ump makes him leave the park.

This is all over a 2-0 pitch in a blowout.

I suspect that part of the problem these days is that many players hit the bars before the games. There were plenty of hotheads when I played (retired 1985), and I admit that I saw some bad incidents. But the beer came after the games. Maybe today it's drugs, too.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Unfortunately, this stuff happens all too often today in men's SP. I've seen similar idiocy many times. And they eject players, and the league hands out suspensions, but these consequences don't seem to inhibit the hotheads when something sets them off the next time.

And you never know what will light their fuse. Explosions such as these often happen suddenly—in the midst of what had been uneventful games. A recent example from a tournament: the batting team is way ahead in the 5th inning of a rather quiet game. The ump calls a borderline-flat 2-0 pitch a strike. Instead of asking about the pitch or somehow quietly showing his displeasure with the call, the batter blows up and starts screaming about this is ASA, not USSSA. The ump, a 25-year SP vet, tosses the guy. So the guy sits in the stands and cries about ASA, not USSSA, until the ump makes him leave the park.

This is all over a 2-0 pitch in a blowout.

I suspect that part of the problem these days is that many players hit the bars before the games. There were plenty of hotheads when I played (retired 1985), and I admit that I saw some bad incidents. But the beer came after the games. Maybe today it's drugs, too.

In some cases and in some locales, the beer and other drinks come during the game. There was a privately owned local complex that I used to work that allowed beer in the dugouts during the game. That led to a lot of problems by your third and fourth game of the night.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

In some cases and in some locales, the beer and other drinks come during the game.

I've seen plenty of that, too.

Some of our county parks used to allow canned beer if it was accompanied by food, as with a picnic. They used to ignore beer drinking in the parking lots after the games, too. However, all the county parks are now completely alcohol free. In fact, some township leagues request that the umpires call the police immediately upon observing consumption of alcohol anywhere in the park.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I find that most umpires who get in trouble in the SP game are those who do not attend the clinics or meetings, are more green than blue, want to be buddy's with the players, will not eject players until it's too late and then, above all, will not report an ejection to the league admin so the appropriate suspensions can be applied.

Being a Go Along to Get Along DOES NOT WORK when it comes to officiating sports. Being a "nice guy" to the players does nothing more than cause your fellow officials pain and heart ache. IOW, as far as I'm concerned, if you are not going to do the job right, get out and find something else to do with your time.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I find that most umpires who get in trouble in the SP game are those who do not attend the clinics or meetings, are more green than blue, want to be buddy's with the players, will not eject players until it's too late and then, above all, will not report an ejection to the league admin so the appropriate suspensions can be applied.

Being a Go Along to Get Along DOES NOT WORK when it comes to officiating sports. Being a "nice guy" to the players does nothing more than cause your fellow officials pain and heart ache. IOW, as far as I'm concerned, if you are not going to do the job right, get out and find something else to do with your time.
I don't see any of those factors fitting me and I can't stand the behavior above.