View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Unfortunately, this stuff happens all too often today in men's SP. I've seen similar idiocy many times. And they eject players, and the league hands out suspensions, but these consequences don't seem to inhibit the hotheads when something sets them off the next time.

And you never know what will light their fuse. Explosions such as these often happen suddenly—in the midst of what had been uneventful games. A recent example from a tournament: the batting team is way ahead in the 5th inning of a rather quiet game. The ump calls a borderline-flat 2-0 pitch a strike. Instead of asking about the pitch or somehow quietly showing his displeasure with the call, the batter blows up and starts screaming about this is ASA, not USSSA. The ump, a 25-year SP vet, tosses the guy. So the guy sits in the stands and cries about ASA, not USSSA, until the ump makes him leave the park.

This is all over a 2-0 pitch in a blowout.

I suspect that part of the problem these days is that many players hit the bars before the games. There were plenty of hotheads when I played (retired 1985), and I admit that I saw some bad incidents. But the beer came after the games. Maybe today it's drugs, too.

In some cases and in some locales, the beer and other drinks come during the game. There was a privately owned local complex that I used to work that allowed beer in the dugouts during the game. That led to a lot of problems by your third and fourth game of the night.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.