The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Blown call??

Coach here.

This happened this week at PONY nationals, 16U.

Similar sitch, but this time ball is fair. No outs R1 on first, stealing with the pitch Infield pop in base line about 10 feet from second on right hand side. R1 runs into F4 and prevents catch. BU calls R1 out for interference and puts BR on first. I ask why wasn't defense awared 2 outs since it was going to be an easy 2 with R1 so far from first. BU says in his opinion there was no intentional interrference on the part of R1 so he only granted one out.

Prior to this thread, I did not know about Rule 8.7.L exception If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball (fair or foul) with oridnary effort, the batter is also out.

The rule seems crystal clear, there should have been 2 outs, was the BU just blowing smoke regarding intentional interference?
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
Coach here.

This happened this week at PONY nationals, 16U.
[snip]
Prior to this thread, I did not know about Rule 8.7.L exception If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball (fair or foul) with oridnary effort, the batter is also out.

The rule seems crystal clear, there should have been 2 outs, was the BU just blowing smoke regarding intentional interference?
Rule 8.7.L Exception is ASA. It is also NCAA. Not sure of Pony or others...
Just look at all the confusion on this message board. Tough call in real time, coach.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Tony, you are correct with the different rule sets. Before posting I forgot to check the PONY rule book

I could not find a fly ball exception, but here is the text of the PONY rule.

Rule 9 sec 8.j When the baserunner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this interference, in the judgement of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out.

I agree with BU that the runner did not intentionally interfere, therefore, according to the above rule, I only get one out on the play.